Coordinator of El Centro Student Registration and Financial Aid
Position: Coordinator of El Centro Student Registration and Financial Aid
Northeastern Illinois University El Centro
Northeastern Illinois University El Centro invites applications for the position of Coordinator of El Centro Student Registration and Financial Aid at Northeastern Illinois University El Centro. Northeastern Illinois University is a comprehensive state university serving approximately 11,000 commuter students. Located on 67 acres in an attractive residential setting on the Northwest side of Chicago, the university offers more than 80 undergraduate and graduate majors. It is a highly diverse university and prides itself on excellent classroom instruction by highly qualified faculty and preparing graduates to function effectively in a global society.
Full Time Position
The Coordinator of El Centro Student Registration and Financial Aid at Northeastern Illinois University El Centro is a full-time, continuing position that is primarily responsible for leading and decision making in all areas related to El Centro students' enrollment, student registration and financial aid. This position requires excellent customer service skills, as it will regularly interface with students, and liaison with faculty, staff, senior administrators and other collaborators across the university, especially will consult regularly with the staff in the Financial Aid Office, the Scholarships Office and in Enrollment Services at the main campus. Other responsibilities include working with students at El Centro in order to provide educational information related to financial assistance and scholarships that will lead to the retention of students at Northeastern, El Centro. The incumbent will also be responsible for planning, designing and implementing without supervision, financial aid/FERPA workshops and is responsible for all program assessment and evaluation, and submission of reports. This position requires a flexible work schedule and will include weekend and evening hours, as required by El Centro campus needs.
About Northeastern Illinois University
Founded in 1867, Northeastern has a rich tradition of educational innovation and prides itself on preparing teachers and administrators who make a difference in Chicago. That tradition continues to this day and has expanded to include an array of academic disciplines, allowing the University to embrace fully the community in which it resides. Northeastern is regarded as the most diverse public comprehensive university in the Midwest and is designated by the United States Department of Education as an Hispanic Serving Institution. Diversity is an important factor in the character of this urban institution and in the social fabric of the student body. Northeastern has an enrollment of approximately 11,000 students, and ALANA students represent nearly 60percent of the student body. Located on 67 acres in an attractive residential area on the northwest side of Chicago, the University offers more than 80 undergraduate and graduate programs in the arts, sciences, education, and business. The University has additional campuses in the metropolitan area: The Carruthers Center for Inner city Studies, El Centro, and the Chicago Teachers' Center. The University is also a founding member of the University Center of Lake County consortium campus in suburban Lake County, north of Chicago. Newsweek magazine named Northeastern Illinois University the sixth "Best Investment" in the United States and number one in Illinois. Northeastern shares the top-ten spot with Harvard, Stanford, Princeton and MIT.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops and implements policies, processes and systems in accordance with the Registrar operations.
- Ensures the accuracy, integrity, security and confidentiality of student academic records and provides leadership in the implementation and enforcement of academic policies and procedures related to registration and financial aid.
- Informs students about general University policies and procedures related to general education inquires, prerequisites for courses, and major program requirements.
- Assists students with obtaining transcripts.
- Responsible for collecting, recording, maintaining and reporting of student records within FERPA guidelines. Provides education about FERPA guidelines to faculty, staff, parents and students.
- Provides leadership to resolve daily operational problems specifically with regards to registration and financial aid.
- Works collaboratively with the staff in Enrollment Services, Financial Aid and Scholarships offices.
- Provides back-up for records and registration services, including processing permit overrides, registering students, coordinating the transcript request process, answering phones, as required by El Centro's needs.
- Coordinates the roster verification process for faculty teaching at El Centro to ensure compliance.
- Assists in the development and implementation of student focused financial literacy planning initiatives.
- Advises students and families
- Provides leadership to plan and coordinate events/activities pertaining student's financial aid.
- Provides informational resources related to financial aid; make necessary referrals to other student services offices when needed.
- Coordinates receiving financial documents at El Centro and having them processed at the main campus and follows up with students.
- Assists students with the verification of student and parent application information and facilitates the process with financial aid.
- Plans, designs and executes the Annual Financial Aid workshops at El Centro, as well as provides group presentations for students and parents.
- The Coordinator will serve as the liaison the Financial Aid, Scholarships and Enrollment Services Offices at the main campus.
- Provides leadership and program management for registration and financial aid.
- Develops and implements training for other Coordinators at El Centro to keep abreast of updated financial aid information.
- Maintains appropriate database systems and generates reports.
- Participates in annual training and professional organization to keep abreast of new information and program changes.
- Shares responsibility with other coordinators for supervision of support staff, students and graduate assistants.
- Assists with overall operation of Northeastern Illinois University El Centro and provides customer service assistance/technical assistance in the reception area when needed for faculty, students, and the community at large.
- Performs other duties as directed or assigned by the Director and/or Assistant Directors of El Centro Campus.
- Serve on university committees and task forces.
Master's degree in a relevant area such as higher education administration, student affairs, counseling/social work etc. Experience working in a culturally diverse academic environment for at least two years in financial aid/registration setting, as well as all students, faculty, staff, alumni, and other campus constituents. Ability to collaborate effectively with college departments and cross-functional teams. Proficiency with computer applications and ability to use technology to enhance student experience. Positive attitude and ability to plan and adapt to change. Ability to provide reports and assessments in a timely manner. Creative, energetic, and responsible leadership skills though a strong student centered philosophy. Effective interpersonal and communication skills. Competency and fluency speaking, writing and reading in English and Spanish required and a demonstrated ability to converse comfortably with various constituencies.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits package including health, dental and vision, and participation in the State Universities Retirement System.
Screening of applicants begins July 21, 2014 until position is filled.
Applicants are expected to respond based on the entire job description. A complete application will include cover letter, resume and the names, addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses of at least three current, professional references. Submit to:
Interim Assistant Director of Academic Affairs
Screening Committee Chair
Northeastern Illinois University El Centro
5500 N. St. Louis Ave. Room B-158
Chicago, IL 60625
In order to be considered for employment by Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU), you must also submit the following:
- Employment application
- Statement of Annuitant Status
- Official Transcript(s
In addition to the link provided above, you can also obtain an Employment Application and Statement of Annuitant Status form at the Northeastern Illinois University Office of Human Resources , Bernard Office Building (B0B), 5555 N. Bernard, Chicago, IL 60625, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Northeastern Illinois University reserves the right not to consider any application on the basis of incomplete information/documents, delay in submission, and disqualifications, however, assures that your application will be duly reviewed on the basis of the position (s) in which you qualify and, accordingly, will inform you of their decision.
Northeastern Illinois University is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer and Invites Applications from Women and Minorities as well as Other Qualified Individuals.