Coordinator of El Centro's Learning Support/Resource Center
Position: Coordinator of El Centro's Learning Support/Resource Center
Northeastern Illinois University El Centro
Northeastern Illinois University El Centro invites applications for the position of Coordinator of El Centro's Learning Support/Resource Center. Northeastern Illinois University is a comprehensive state university serving approximately 11,000 commuter students. Located on 67 acres in an attractive residential setting on the Northwest side of Chicago, the university offers more than 80 undergraduate and graduate majors. It is a highly diverse university and prides itself on excellent classroom instruction by highly qualified faculty and preparing graduates to function effectively in a global society.
Full Time Position
Coordinator of El Centro's Learning Support/Resource Center (LS/RC) at Northeastern Illinois University El Centro campus is a full-time, continuing position that is primarily responsible for the planning, designing and executing of all projects out of the LS/RC as well as responsible for its daily operation. This position will regularly interface with faculty, staff, administrators and collaborators across the university, but especially with the Learning Support Center at the main campus. Other responsibilities include training staff, mentors and tutors to facilitate their work with students at El Centro in order to provide educationally purposeful experiences that focus on student learning, engagement, that will help students persistence, retention and success. The incumbent will also be responsible for other initiatives, as well, program assessment and evaluation and submission of reports. This position requires a flexible work schedule that will include weekend and evening hours, as required by El Centro campus needs.
About Northeastern Illinois University
Founded in 1867, Northeastern has a rich tradition of educational innovation and prides itself on preparing teachers and administrators who make a difference in Chicago. That tradition continues to this day and has expanded to include an array of academic disciplines, allowing the University to embrace fully the community in which it resides. Northeastern is regarded as the most diverse public comprehensive university in the Midwest and is designated by the United States Department of Education as an Hispanic Serving Institution. Diversity is an important factor in the character of this urban institution and in the social fabric of the student body. Northeastern has an enrollment of approximately 11,000 students, and ALANA students represent nearly 60percent of the student body. Located on 67 acres in an attractive residential area on the northwest side of Chicago, the University offers more than 80 undergraduate and graduate programs in the arts, sciences, education, and business. The University has additional campuses in the metropolitan area: The Carruthers Center for Inner city Studies, El Centro, and the Chicago Teachers' Center. The University is also a founding member of the University Center of Lake County consortium campus in suburban Lake County, north of Chicago. Newsweek magazine named Northeastern Illinois University the sixth "Best Investment" in the United States and number one in Illinois. Northeastern shares the top-ten spot with Harvard, Stanford, Princeton and MIT.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversees tutoring in general education, math development and selected major coursework and other academic support services in support of student success.
- Trains, supervises, engages and evaluates tutoring staff.
- Coordinates campus tutors schedules and uploads information into Tutor Trac.
- Trains tutors in tutoring techniques, learning styles, and other tutoring for students in conjunction with the Learning Center.
- Plans, designs and executes programing, activities and workshops for students and faculty in collaboration with other student support services areas at El Centro in order to identify resources and other support for students.
- Provides information to faculty, instructors, staff, and students about tutoring center hours, events and activities.
- Works collaboratively with all University departments and offices.
- Acts as the main liaison to the Learning Resource Center, Center for Teaching and Learning, Center for Academic Writing, and other services, as related to learning support services for students.
- Provides excellent customer service to students, faculty, and staff.
- Manages and is responsible for large amounts of data including gathering and tracking program participation, evaluation data and reports.
- Shares responsibility with other coordinators for supervision of support staff, students and graduate assistants.
- Assists with overall operation of Northeastern Illinois University El Centro and provides customer service assistance/technical assistance in the reception area when needed from faculty, students, and the community at large.
- Serve on university committees and task forces.
- Perform other duties as directed or assigned by the Administration of El Centro Campus and Academic Affairs.
Master's degree in a relevant area such as higher education administration, student affairs, counseling/social work, human resource development or other relevant area etc. Experience working in a culturally diverse academic environment for at least two years, as well as all students, faculty, staff, alumni, and other campus constituents. Knowledge base in training and tutoring strategies for college. Proficiency with computer applications and ability to use technology to enhance the student experience. Effective interpersonal and communication skills. Competency and fluency speaking, writing and reading in English and Spanish required and a demonstrated ability to converse comfortably with various constituencies. Ability to provide reports and assessments, as well as, implement programming in a timely manner. Creative, energetic, and responsible leadership skills though a strong student centered philosophy.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits package including health, dental and vision, and participation in the State Universities Retirement System.
Screening of applicants begins July 21, 2014 until position is filled.
Applicants are expected to respond based on the entire job description. A complete application will include cover letter, resume and the names, addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses of at least three current, professional references. Submit to:
Assistant Director of Student Support Services
Screening Committee Chair
Northeastern Illinois University El Centro
5500 N. St. Louis Ave. Room B-152
Chicago, IL 60625
In order to be considered for employment by Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU), you must also submit the following:
- Employment application
- Statement of Annuitant Status
- Official Transcript(s)
In addition to the link provided above, you can also obtain an Employment Application and Statement of Annuitant Status form at the Northeastern Illinois University Office of Human Resources , Bernard Office Building (B0B), 5555 N. Bernard, Chicago, IL 60625, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Northeastern Illinois University reserves the right not to consider any application on the basis of incomplete information/documents, delay in submission, and disqualifications, however, assures that your application will be duly reviewed on the basis of the position (s) in which you qualify and, accordingly, will inform you of their decision.
Northeastern Illinois University is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer and Invites Applications from Women and Minorities as well as Other Qualified Individuals.