Associate Project Manager
The Associate Project Manager provides operational and project-based support to the Project Management Office within Babson’s IT department. Specific responsibilities include managing small to medium sized IT projects from beginning to end; following and applying Babson’s project management and business analysis standards; overseeing phase(s) of a larger project under the supervision of a Project Manager as needed; conducting business analysis; drafting reports for Project Managers and Business Analysts; helping maintain the project information systems; and supporting the project portfolio management process.
Types of projects managed include: custom web software development; 3rd party vendor software selection and implementations; infrastructure or data projects; and business process improvement projects.
• Manage small and medium projects from project intake through project close-out.
• Apply project management tools and methodologies to all parts of the Project Management Lifecycle.
• Meet with stakeholders and sponsors to validate business cases, gather facts for establishing and gaining agreement on project charters, clarifying project directives, scopes, deliverables, and timelines.
• Develop project charters, specifications, RFPs, schedules, risk assessments, communication plans, and other project documents.
• Execute project work plans; manage day-to-day operational aspects of a project and scope.
• Assemble and manage a project team of diverse resources and coordinate this team throughout the project.
• Gather and analyze project metrics to evaluate project performance and to manage issues, risk, and changes of scope.
• Ensure project documents are complete, current, and stored appropriately.
• Update the Director, PMO, and others about project status on a regular basis.
• Support other PMO staff with documentation, reports, project information system updates, and portfolio management processes.
• Stay up-to-date on project management industry standards and share regularly with PMO colleagues.
• Participate in project scoping and sizing efforts for new project requests.
• Manage the project request intake queue, as needed.
• Assumes additional responsibilities as required.
Minimum Level of Education Required Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
Position Knowledge/Skills & Abilities Requirements:
• At least 1-3 years of experience managing software development or other IT projects.
• Familiarity with the fundamentals of Project Management.
• At least 1 year of experience working on IT projects, within an IT environment or with a Project Management Office.
• Ability to be resourceful.
• Strong understanding of Internet-based applications and tools, data, and databases.
• Excellent questioning, analytical, and problem solving skills.
• Superior verbal and written communications skills with the ability to express technical concepts clearly.
• Ability to effectively handle multiple projects at one time.
• Strong attention to detail and ability to meet strict deadlines.
• Ability to communicate information to/from all levels of users and technical staff.
• Ability to determine task priorities, and plan and manage those priorities to move a project forward to completion.
• Ability to lead and strategize with project participants, leaders, and decision makers to ensure strategic and effective decision making.
• Ability to recognize and mediate conflict within a working team.
• Significant familiarity with skills in the MS Office suite and widely-used PM computer-based tools (Microsoft Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint, Visio).
• Ability to manage ambiguity and a fluid environment.
• Highly independent; ability to take initiative.
Additional Required Skills & Abilities:
• May require some evening and weekend work
Additional Experience, Skills & Abilities:
• PMI Certification preferred
• Prior experience as a software developer or business analyst is preferred
Interested candidates should apply via our website https://babson.peopleadmin.com
Babson College is an Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer committed to enhancing diversity and inclusion across all levels of the College. Candidates who believe they can contribute to this value are strongly encouraged to apply.