IT Field Service Technician
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Office Building/Campus: Los Angeles- Downtown
Home Department: Information Technology
Position Type: Staff Position
Employment duration: Part time
Founded in 1979, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology is an independent professional graduate school with a dynamic student body and a professionally accomplished faculty. Our curriculum and training opportunities prepare graduates to deliver outstanding professional services emphasizing the ability to understand and work with diverse populations.
Working with local campus management, the National Director of Information Technology and the Central Information Technology department at the TCS Education System (TCSES) this position is responsible for technology service delivery at the campus level for the Downtown Los Angeles campus and may need to go to the Irvine and/or Westwood locations as well. This position has been updated to a full time position based on institution needs.
- Provide application, operating system (Windows & Mac), networking and telephony support to students, faculty and staff.
- Provides advance support for network printing, handheld devices, distributed and central file services, multiple email clients and protocols, the Microsoft Office Suite and multiple other software packages.
- Advises and works with administrative and academic departments on their computing needs and resolution of computing issues.
- Support academic technologies in the lab and classroom
- Manage vendor and other outside resources to maximize the value of services received
- Partner with the TCS ES IT department to implement technology solutions, leverage shared IT services and achieve operational efficiencies at the school
- Communicate regularly and proactively with local campus management and staff to facilitate positive change through technology projects and initiatives
- Work with other members of the IT Team (local, National and TCSES) to develop documentation and other user-related information.
- Work with other members of the IT Team (local, National and TCSES) to develop training support for staff & administrators, students and faculty.
- Identify hardware which falls below the minimum hardware specification and work with department managers and National Director of IT on planning for replacement.
- Support solutions are communicated to the IT Team (local, National and TCSES) and are documented for others as appropriate.
- Participate in TCSES IT projects to implement plans for new services, migrate from old services or remove obsolete services.
- Integrate new services by evaluating and testing products.
- Provide formal and ad-hoc training as necessary to support roll outs and the adoption of processes and systems
- Installing, configuring and maintaining desktop and laptop PCs and peripherals such as printers
- Installing and configuring application and operating system software and upgrades
- Troubleshooting and repairing hardware and network connectivity issues
- Removing old equipment and performing data migration to new machines
- Maintaining an inventory of installed hardware and managing campus software licensing
- Work with National and TCSES IT staff to verify timely product delivery and ensuring that new equipment is installed and ready to operate on schedule
- Knowledge of remote support tools (LogMeIn, RDP, etc)
- Knowledge of creating and managing Cisco IP phones within Cisco Unity and voicemail system
- Knowledge of computer imaging tools and concepts
- Other duties as assigned
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Be proactive in anticipating and resolving problems while maximizing efficient use of campus computing resources
- Superior troubleshooting, critical thinking skills and advanced problem solving skills are required to find solutions to problems that are technically complex and require collection, interpretation, and analysis of data from diverse sources.
- Superior customer service and customer focus skills are essential
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with the ability to translate technical concepts into user-friendly English
- Proficiency with a variety of Windows operating systems and software including Windows 7/8, MAC OSx, MS Office in both Windows and MAC environments, Outlook and multiple browsers.
- Knowledge of back-end systems (Exchange, Active Directory, etc) and concepts used to support an IT infrastructure required such as the ability to troubleshoot network, printing and wireless client issues.
- Experience with audio visual technology; videoconferencing
- Ability and willingness to learn and teach various technologies to staff and others is essential.
- Ability to work independently (a self-starter), as well as member of a team and to foster a collaborative team environment is essential
- Comfortable with multi-tasking and dynamic, sometimes ambiguous environment
- Excellent follow-through and attention to detail
- Ability to work flexible shifts, which may include evenings and/or weekends and peak periods including, but not limited to the beginning of each semester and service launch dates
- Ability for occasional to travel to any/all of the School's locations. Other work-related travel may be necessary.
- 3-5 years of experience providing superior desktop support customer service including installing and supporting PC, laptop and mobile hardware and software
- Experience in direct support of diverse user community
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent job experience required
- Professional certifications from entities such as HDI (Desktop Support Technician or Support Center Analyst), CompTIA (A+, Network+) or Microsoft (MCSA, MOS, etc.) preferred
- Experience working in Higher Education is preferred
For more information about The Chicago School of Professional Psychology visit www.thechicagoschool.edu
The Chicago School of Professional Psychology is an affiliate of TCS Education System. For more information about TCS Education System visit www.tcsedsystem.org
TCS Education System offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of education. Some of our key benefits include: paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), professional development, and regular employee appreciation events.
TCS Education System is an Equal Opportunity Employer.