Business Intelligence Analyst
Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
STARS Requisition Number 26463BR
Department YSM Financial Ops
University Job Title Programmer Analyst 3
Posting Position Title Business Intelligence Analyst
Bargaining Unit None
Job Category Managerial & Professional
Type of Employment Full Time
Duration Type Regular
Salary Grade 25
Work Location Medical School Campus
Worksite Address 100 CSS, Ste 100
Work Week Standard (M-F equal number of hours per day)
Position Focus: Reporting to the Associate Director in the YSM Financial Operations organization and working closely with financial analysts and managers, develops, implements and maintains Business Intelligence solutions for the Yale School of Medicine. Organizes, manages and ensures the integrity of complex data sets collected. Participates in data collection and conducts complex data analyses. Evaluates business intelligence tools (data visualization, exploration and discovery, ETL, meta-data, report writers) and makes recommendations for best solutions. Takes lead in the development and ongoing improvement of the Business Intelligence platform for the Yale School of Medicine. Builds dashboards, reports and state-of-the-art data visualizations using a variety of software tools, including Tableau and SAP Business Objects. Designs and creates data models and database design specifications. Designs and creates relational databases from existing data currently stored in multiple data sources. Designs comprehensive and relational databases with advance knowledge of relevant applications impacting on the data analyses and reporting. Develops and documents operational procedures and documents data files, data structures and relationships, variable definitions and data codes.
Principal Responsibilities 1. Provides technical expertise in developing programs or systems of moderate to large size.
2. Responsible for the development and delivery of applications, programs, and systems. Evaluates departmental business and administrative processes and needs. Identify, define, and analyzes system requirements to meet the expectations of stakeholders and intended end users needs, scheduled timeline, and budgetary targets.
3. Defines and designs new systems and applications. Provides business solutions. Performs complex problem solving.
4. Provides technical guidance and recommendations for projects which includes architectural design, technology selection and methodologies to apply. Responsible for the creation, definition, requirements, communication and management of project plans. Plans billable time and project implementation costs.
5. Provides ongoing maintenance and support for applications and systems.
6. Drives the development of systems documentation. Develops formal design proposals and cost and time estimates for new systems. Trains and mentors technical staff. Provides training to end users.
7. Recommends and creates new policy.
8. Applies and keeps current with existing and emerging technologies and methodologies. Provides ongoing input to the establishment of programming standards, procedures, and methodologies.
9. May perform other duties as assigned.Required Education and Experience Bachelor's degree.
Five years of related experience in analysis and programming of medium to large-scale systems or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1: Ability to understand state-of-the-art business intelligence and data visualization tools. Ability to create complex dashboards such as Tableau and SAP Business Objects.
Required Skill/Ability 2: Ability to design, develop and maintain business intelligence applications. Ability to design and create large, complex databases.
Required Skill/Ability 3: Demonstrated ability to work with SQL.
Required Skill/Ability 4: Ability to write and document data load and ETL (extract, transfer and load) processes.
Required Skill/Ability 5: Excellent oral and written communications and interpersonal skills; the ability to work independently and as a member of a team; the ability to work collaboratively with people from all levels of an organization. Demonstrated project management experience, managing multiple priorities.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: Master's degree in computer science or a related field and a minimum of five years of experience in the design and development of business intelligence solutions and data management and analysis or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Weekend Hours Required? Occasional
Evening Hours Required? Occasional
Drug Screen No
Health Screening No
Background Check Requirements All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Posting Disclaimer The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.