Library Technician II
Kern Community College District
Library Technician II
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, perform a variety of technical library work including acquisition, processing and cataloging new printed and non-printed library materials, preparing bibliographies and processing interlibrary loans; oversee and participate in the activities of the circulation desk; plan, prioritize, assign and review the work of student assistants and assigned staff.
The Library Technician II performs a variety of technical duties in addition to planning, assigning and reviewing the work of student assistants and assigned staff. Incumbents are also assigned to perform more complex work related to acquisition and reference services. The Library Technician I performs a variety of technical duties such as processing and cataloging new printed and non-printed library materials, preparing bibliographies and processing interlibrary loans.
Education and Experience
Any combination equivalent to: Associate degree with course work in library science, liberal arts, the humanities or a related field and years of increasingly responsible clerical and technical library experience.
Note: Degrees and credits generally must be from accredited institutions (Title V Section 53406).
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
The Kern Community College District provides a maximum contribution to an excellent health and welfare benefits plan. Vacation, sick leave, holidays, income protection and retirement included.
Knowledge and Abilities
• Modern library methods, procedures, tools and technology.
• Library classification system and cataloging techniques.
• Procedures and methods of computerized databases.
• Location of library materials.
• Reference sources and supplies.
• Operation of a variety of equipment, including an intercom system, library security system and a microfilm reader.
• Principles and practices of supervision and training.
• Operation of standard office equipment, including a computer and data entry techniques.
• Record-keeping and report preparation techniques.
• Inventory techniques.
• Basic budgeting practices regarding monitoring and control.
• Telephone techniques and etiquette.
• Oral and written communication skills.
• Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
• Interpersonal skills using tact patience and courtesy.
• Basic math.
• Perform a variety of technical and clerical library work.
• Use and explain library classification system and cataloging techniques.
• Assist library patrons in the use of library and electronic reference sources.
• Train and provide work direction to others.
• Assign and review the work of others.
• Plan and organize work.
• Operate a computer terminal and enter data.
• Complete work with many interruptions.
• Maintain records and prepare reports.
• Operate a variety of equipment including an intercom system, library security system and a microfilm reader.
• Answer telephones and greet the public courteously.
• Type at an acceptable rate of speed.
• Compare numbers and detect errors efficiently.
• Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
Position Number: 01074
Posting Date: 07/23/2014
Open Until Filled: Yes
Position Type: Classified
Work Week: 40 hours per week, 12 month position
Minimum Salary: $2,986.37 per month
Maximum Salary: $4,219.66 per month (maximum entry $2,986.37)
College/Site: Cerro Coso College
Location: CC-Main Campus, Ridgecrest
Salary Grade: 38.0
Special Instructions to Applicants
First Review of Applications:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; but those received by 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) on Thursday, August 7, 2014 are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
• Completed Online Application for Employment form
• Current resume
• Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
• Copy of legible transcripts, if applicable
• List of six (6) professional references – Listed on application form
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
To apply, visit http://careers.kccd.edu/postings/4584
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.