Program Services Specialist (Veteran Affairs) (Richland 7080)
Division: Veterans Affairs (8315)
Position Number: 081407080
Position Type: Professional Support Staff
Exempt or Non-Exempt: Non-Exempt
Appointment Type: Full Time
Is Grant Funded?: No
Salary: $2,678.42/Monthly, Range C07
Work Days/Hours: 10:00 -7:00 (Mon- Thurs) and 8:00 - 5:00 (Fri)
Posting Number: 03186
Job Description Summary/Essential Duties:
An intermediate career level position that works under the direction of a program coordinator, performs day-to-day coordination of one or more state/federal/college and/or special programs and/or populations including counseling, teaching, recordkeeping, purchasing of books and supplies, advisement/assessment/placement activities, periodic reporting and program development/implementation. Coordinates college and/or special program/population activities to meet program objectives. Specific objectives vary, but generally relate to special student populations or a specific grant targeted student population. May include any of the following services for groups or individuals: Counseling/advising, teaching/tutoring, placement, assessment, mediating, evaluating, interpreting, etc. Recruits students/prospective students from the college service area. Publicizes program services through public and private information sources. Coordinates program with existing college services. Responsible for reviewing related forms and applications; verifies accuracy, completeness and compliance with DCCCD policies, program guidelines and state/federal regulations. Determines eligibility and processes according to department/program guidelines. Develops forms, handouts, and brochures used in program; coordinates production and distribution activities. Responsible for developing and maintaining database of students served which is utilized in periodic reports to college officials or state/federal/private agencies. Acts as a liaison with internal and external entities to assist and/or enhance program, to increase enrollment or to promote the District. Develops and teach workshops and seminars; may organize and implement events to recognize special accomplishments of recipients; may make classroom presentations to inform and recruit; may plan and organize special cultural events; may plan and implement field trips to meet program and/or funding source requirements. Some positions may plan, coordinate and manage day-to-day activities of a staff largely comprised of part-time employees, students, tutors and/or volunteers. Participates in the primary functions of the assigned department. May process checks (stipends) according to program or grant regulations. Performs related duties as assigned.
Works with light, easy to handle materials requiring little physical effort.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- WHEN YOU ARE SUBMITTING PERSONAL DOCUMENTS SUCH AS TRANSCRIPTS AND RESUMES WITH YOUR APPLICATION, YOU MUST MAKE SURE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION SUCH AS SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER, BIRTHDAY AND RELIGIOUS AFFILIATION ARE REMOVED. DOCUMENTS BEARING THIS INFORMATION WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE ONLINE APPLICATION SYSTEM. AND YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE CONSIDERED INCOMPLETE. APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR THE POSITION UNTIL TRANSCRIPS/DOCUMENTS ARE CORRECTED AND UPLOADED BEFORE POSITION CLOSING DATE.
- PART TIME WORK EXPERIENCE IS CALCULATED AS HALF EX: 2 YEARS PART TIME WORK EXPERIENCE= 1 YEAR FULL TIME WORK EXPERIENCE
- TRANSCRIPTS FROM FOREIGN INSTITUTIONS MUST BE EVALUATED TO U.S. STANDARDS PRIOR TO SUBMISSION TO THE ONLINE APPLICATON
- THE APPLICATION ALONE IS USED TO DETERMINE IF MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS ARE MET. PLEASE COMPLETE ALL PORTIONS OF THE APPLICATION, EVEN IF INCLUDING A RESUME,
# of Months:
Close Date: 08/05/2014
Open Until Filled: NoMinimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in related field plus two years of experience in one of the areas of student services related to work area assigned or two years of college and four years of progressively responsible experience in student, career and/or counseling services.
- Ability to utilize computer technology to access information, maintain records and prepare reports.
- Requires demonstrated organizational skills and oral and written communication skills to interact with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Some positions require proficiency in one or more foreign languages.
- Ability to work extended hours beyond the regular 8:00 a.m. ?? 5:00 p.m. work day during heavy registration peak times.
- The ability to provide quality customer service.
- Official transcript will be required.
- *Will be subject to a criminal background check and/or fingerprinting.*