Responsible for budget development, administration of payroll and personnel functions, general guidance and assistance for staff, often performing in a liaison capacity.
Key Functions and Expected Performances:
- Define and achieve financial targets for the unit/area, consistent with the departmental financial plan
- Assist director/administrator by participating in planning and budget preparations and communicating budget calendar and process
- Aid in the implementation, interpretation and presentation of annual wage and salary plan to staff
- Supply precise information by center and account line regarding anticipated expenses for budget preparation
- Frequently prepare ad hoc financial and budget reports
- Closely monitor revenues and expenditures for salary expenditures in all centers for the entire unit/area/department
- Report findings that occur as part of the analysis process and incidental discoveries to the director/administrator
- Exercise judgment and prepare supporting or correcting documentation as deemed appropriate
- Develop and manage unit/area/departmental personnel administration
- Assist in defining the qualifications and performance expectations for all staff positions through the Performance Development system, including department specific job descriptions and measurable performance standards
- Ensure that staff qualifications are consistent with job responsibilities. Verify for each employee or contracted personnel that, where relevant, education and training are consistent with applicable legal and regulatory requirements and VUMC policy, that the individual is licensed, certified or registered, and that the individual's knowledge and experience are appropriate for the job assignment
- Create an environment that encourages and supports self-development and learning for all staff through regular feedback, by assuring the development of staff through orientation, training programs, work experiences and assessing competencies during the end-of-orientation and annual Performance Evaluations
- Recommend employment, transfer and promotion decisions consistent with human resource policies, including affirmative action, equal employment opportunity and/or the collective bargaining agreement.
- Coordinate employment, wage and salary, benefits, employee relations and other specific personnel activities with the University's Human Resource department as necessary.
- Ensure the most effective operation of the unit/area/department through program development, process improvement and coordination of processes across functions
- Monitor and coordinate programs and actions
- Coordinate the activities of one or more functions to effect unity of operation
- Provide information to others (oral or written) to explain/clarify problems or issues or requests; meet with other professional/technical personnel to determine causes of a specific problem.
- Participate in periodic management meetings to keep top management informed of problems and concerns;
- Plan to achieve goals or establish priorities
- Implement changes or develop new policies, procedures and/or methods
- Help unit/area/department to understand, share, and support the vision
Job requires Bachelor's and 3 years of experience or the equivalent.
Job Professional and Managerial
Primary Location TN-Nashville-Robinson Research
Organization Clinical Pharmacology-DOM 104342