Lead Teacher Child and Family Development Center
|Job Description Summary||
9 Month Contract
San Juan College is committed to serving the needs of our students through a process of continuous quality improvement. We uphold and affirm the following iCARE values:
This position supervises and participates in the teaching of students at the Childhood and Family Development Center.
|Duties & Responsibilities||
• Supervises and coordinates assigned classrooms, including the work of Instructional Associates; coordinates curriculum planning and execution; coordinates documentation of classroom activities and student progress.
• Mentors and evaluates the work of practicum students.
• Gathers, compiles and reviews portfolio samples to assess student progress within New Mexico Curriculum Guidelines.
• Participates in classes, workshops, online classes, conferences and symposia.
• Plans and executes regular meeting with assigned staff to ensure consistence flow of curriculum standards in the classroom.
• Coordinates emergency drills and practices; inspects emergency kits.
• Supervises assigned work study students.
• Mentors, coaches, and models best teaching practices for staff and students.
• Participates in Child Assistance Team meetings.
• Communicates and meets with parents of Center students.
• Refers students to external service providers as appropriate.
• Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
• Knowledge of current early childhood education methodologies and pedagogies.
• Knowledge of early childhood education principles and practices.
• Knowledge of curriculum development principles.
• Knowledge of effective teaching strategies.
• Knowledge of program and learner assessment principles.
• Knowledge of college policies and procedures.
• Skill in the delegation of responsibility and authority.
• Skill in the operation of computers and job related software programs.
• Skill in decision making and problem solving.
• Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
• Skill in oral and written communication.
• Skill in working effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
The Director – Childhood and Family Development Center assigns work in terms of very general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include New Mexico Child Care Licensing Regulations, National Association for the Education of Young Children Accreditation Standard and Criteria, staff and parent handbooks, and college and program policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
• The work consists of varied supervisory and instructional duties. The variety of tasks to be managed contributes to the complexity of the position.
• The purpose of this position is to supervise and participate in the teaching of students at the Childhood and Family Development Center. Success in this position results in the efficient and effective provision of programming to students and compliance with state, federal and accrediting standards.
• Contacts are typically with co-workers, other college personnel, faculty, staff, students, parents, volunteers, and members of the general public.
• Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, to resolve problems, to provide services, or to motivate or influence persons.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
• The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, walking, bending or crouching. The employee frequently lifts light and occasionally heavy objects; must be able to lift 30 lbs.
• The work is typically performed in a classroom and outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. The employee may be exposed to contagious or infectious diseases. Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, gloves, etc.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
This position has direct supervision over assigned personnel.
• A baccalaureate degree in early childhood or a related field, such as elementary education, consumer science or child and family studies.
• Two years of experience in an educational setting is required; lab school experience preferred.
• A criminal background check, TB test and medical exam are required. The employee must be in a state of physical and emotional health suitable for participation in an early education program.
STATEMENT OF UNDERSTANDING
I have read and understand the above position description. I assert that I am able to perform the essential
Print Name: _______________________ Signature: _________________________ Date: __________
|Special Instructions to Applicants||
Three letters of recommendation will be required is selected as a candidate for interview and must be provided before the scheduled date of interview.