Department: Advancement Services
Staff or Admin/Full-Time or Part-Time
The research analyst identifies and qualifies individuals, corporations, and foundations as major donors consistent with the priorities of the University and ensures that the fundraising staff has an ongoing supply of prospects and information to meet the University wide fundraising goals. This position conducts detailed research using a wide variety of biographical, organizational, and financial sources, including state-of-the-art online databases services, Internet websites, library and government sources, and other external repositories of public information. The research analyst composes documents (profiles, biographies, project summaries) using style, grammar, and content appropriate to specific audiences. Interprets and translates complex financial, legal, and corporate language into easily comprehensible terms while adhering to University standards of discretion and confidentiality. This position proactively communicates with development officers and provides insight in prospect cultivation strategies. This position requires excellent analytical skills; strong communication skills; and demonstrated ability to work independently, prioritize work, and manage multiple priorities. This position functions under the general guidance and direction of the senior director of Advancement Services.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Minimum of two years research experience in prospect research or in a closely related field such as fundraising, business, or library research.
• Exceptional writing and oral communication skills required, with emphasis on qualitative information analysis and streamlined presentation. Strong editing skills.
• Demonstrated ability to conceptualize and develop proactive prospecting methodologies to support organizational goals, including data mining, sophisticated constituent database queries, etc.
• Advanced general computer knowledge of Windows and network-based environments, exceptional skills and experience using the MS Office suite of applications (especially Word, Excel and Access); demonstrated ability to use online and database resources creatively and effectively. Experience with the Advance database system is preferred.
• High degree of confidentiality, tact, and sound judgment.
• Requires a well-developed sense of curiosity, ingenuity, and perseverance.
• Must be able to work independently, taking initiative and setting priorities in a dynamic environment of regular interruptions, multiple projects, and deadlines.
• Strong listening skills with the ability to extract, analyze, interpret, produce, and disseminate clear and concise reports.
• Detail oriented with a high degree of accuracy.
• Knowledge of USD policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of ethics statements by APRA, Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), and other related associations is preferred.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes. Serious candidates are encouraged to request official transcripts to help expedite the hiring process.
Salary: 19.36 - $20.59; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Business & Administration: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours per week: 37.5
Closing date: August 1, 2014
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, you are strongly recommended to upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org