Plan and implement educational programs and vocational preparation and coaching activities for individuals or special groups. In addition, the Assistant Teacher communicates information relevant to the student and interns' education and development to their parents/guardians.
This is a part-time, hourly position; 20 hours per week.
Key Functions and Expected Performances
Maintains a clean, safe, orderly learning environment which contributes to children's physical, emotional, social, and cognitive development.
- Follows policies and procedures established by TN DOE and the health department.
- Conscientiously supervises children.
- Supports the implementation of behavior management in accordance with a Positive Behavior Support approach.
- Supports the growing independence of each child by creating opportunities to participate in their classroom community.
Provides educational services in a manner consistent with compliance requirements.
- Assists the lead teacher with the planning and implementation of a developmentally appropriate curriculum following NAEYC criteria, DEC recommended practices, TN DOE standards, and SGS policies.
- Under the guidance of the lead teacher, embeds early learning standards, IEP/IFSP goals, and NAEYC guidelines into daily activities and routines.
- Consistently meets requirements for timely filling of documentation as required.
- Implements after care program curriculum under guidance of after care coordinator.
Collaborates with classroom team members to plan and implement daily curriculum and individual education plans.
- Participates in classroom team meetings by providing input regarding the progress of all aspects of classroom (curriculum, teaming, and children) at team meetings.
- Participates in classroom planning meetings.
- Helps create and follows a Classroom Roles and Responsibilities matrix to share responsibility of daily tasks and activities.
Contributes to educational assessments using measures appropriate for the child.
- Uses classroom data collection system to collect data on progress towards individual goals developed by educational team.
- Provides input on progress for lead teacher to report to parents.
Develops and maintains positive relationships with parents.
- Interacts with parents in a friendly, professional manner.
- Participates in parent-teacher conferences as appropriate.
- Share parent communication with lead teacher, provide responses as appropriate.
Mentors and supports students working within the classroom environment.
- Supports positive experiences for student workers, student volunteers, and practicum students.
- Models desired practices for interactions with children (group or individual), preparation of the environment, and interactions with families.
- Provides lead teacher, after care coordinator, or SGS administration feedback regarding student use of desired practices.
- Provides students with information needed to complete assignments.
- Assigns student worker or volunteer tasks or duties as necessary.
Displays a commitment to the early childhood field.
- Meets all mandated continuing education requirements
- Participates in professional development opportunities provided by SGS (staff meetings, inservices).
- Follows guidelines and policies of SGS and Vanderbilt University.
- Upholds child confidentiality.
- Interacts with children, parents, other staff, outside therapists, students, and administration respectfully.
- Upholds the SGS philosophy.
- Contributes to overall success of the school and share its commitment to the four-fold mission to service, training, research, and demonstration.
Completes additional responsibilities as assigned by the SGS administration.
- Flexibly participates in school-wide coverage plan to ensure smooth operation of the entire SGS program including early care, after care program, and special school events.
Job requires High School or GED and 2 years experience or the equivalent
Experience working with young children 1 to 5 years old required
Preferred Education, Skills, and Experiences
- Experience working with children with disabilities is preferred
Job Child Care
Primary Location TN-Nashville-One Magnolia Circle
Organization Susan Gray School 126500