Research Assistant I
Provide, under direct supervision, support for specified research projects; collect, assess, and communicate data/results. Assist in general laboratory operation and inventory. The position involves the isolation, separation and analyses of lipid classes.
Preferred Education and Skills:
Some experience with techniques such as thin layer or gas chromatography is desirable, but not essential; likewise experience with analytical techniques is desirable. Excellent organization and recording skills are preferred. The successful applicant will be highly motivated, able to work with others in a team setting, and have good communication skills.
Key Functions and Expected Performances:
- Under supervision, run experiments, assays, and record results
- Read and follow experimental protocols (May include animal handling, tissue culture, etc.)
- Compile and communicate results to supervisor
- Follow University safety protocols (may include use of combustibles, radioactivity, toxic material, and/or carcinogenics)
- Perform calculations involving molarity, % solutions, and serial dilutions
- Prepare and operate equipment in experimental procedures
- May include blood gas analyzer, centrifuge, pH meter, spectrophotometer, autoclave, scintillation counter, electrophoresis unit, analytical balance, etc.
- Maintain and repair equipment according to manufacturer and university guidelines.
- Ensure laboratory is prepared for experiments
- Maintain inventories,
- Maintain sterile conditions as required
- Prepare reagents
- Clean equipment.
Job requires a Bachelor's degree in biological science or chemistry or the equivalent.
Primary Location TN-Nashville-Medical Center North (MCN)
Organization Diabetes Ctr 104223