Metadata Librarian 12 Month
Job ID: 37329
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Apply On Or Before: 07/28/2014
The Florida State University Libraries seeks a skilled, innovative, and knowledgeable individual for the position of Metadata Librarian. This position will provide leadership and guidance to the University Libraries and the campus community on the development, analysis, and application of non-MARC metadata. The goal for the position is to serve a primary role for non-MARC metadata design, structure, and standards and to coordinate best practices and standards across University Libraries.
* Develop, document, and maintain metadata standards for projects, which will provide consistency in our local systems and allow for sustainability and interoperability with state and national shared digital collection and bibliographic systems.
* Collaborate with the digital archivist, as well as staff in the Digital Library Center, Cataloging and Description, Special Collections, and Technology & Digital Scholarship on development and implementation of standards.
* Create non-MARC metadata for complex digital collections and provide training to and supervise staff and student workers on metadata creation.
* Participate in project planning and workflow design for digital and born-digital collections.
* Engage in authority control processes to provide intellectual control over personal names, place names, and subject headings as part of the metadata process.
* Design and/or adapt XML schemas and XSLT stylesheets for digital systems and projects.
* Provide consultation services to librarians and faculty on metadata in support of digital scholarship
* Monitor trends in national and international resource description standards and emerging technologies, applying developments as appropriate and informing colleagues of potential local impact and standard changes.
* Provide instructional classes, as appropriate, on campus and make presentations to non- university groups.
* Share responsibility for reference service in Special Collections with other department faculty and staff.
* Participate in division wide activities and development.
* Other duties as assigned.
* Masters degree from an ALA-accredited library program or other relevant master's degree.
* Demonstrated experience with non-MARC metadata formats (e.g. MODS, METS, PREMIS, Dublin Core etc.).
* Demonstrated experience with the principles of authority control, including selecting and applying controlled vocabularies to local collections.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
* Excellent communication skills with ability to collaborate with faculty, staff and students.
* Ability to work independently and as a team member on a variety of simultaneous projects
* Knowledge of MARC standards
* Ability to think creatively and problem solve.
* Ability to plan, coordinate, and implement effective programs, complex projects, and services
* Ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally.
* Ability to take initiative and learn new skills
* Ability to relate to users at a variety of educational levels.
* Ability to work independently and as a member of a group in a changing environment.
* Record of successful performance of duties in prior job(s).
* 2 years experience working with metadata creation in an academic or research library or equivalent.
* Experience with developing standards and recommendations in archival curation and related metadata management.
* Experience with repository, archival and/or indexing systems such as Islandora, Archon, etc.
* Experience with XML and XSLT metadata transforms.
* Experience with scripting languages, especially related to metadata manipulation.
* Experience with training.
* Ability to work with a variety of foreign languages.
* Experience writing, obtaining, and managing grants.
Policia Clyne, PHR
Associate Dean for Administrative Services
Florida State University Libraries
Tallahassee, FL 32306-2047
Phone: (850) 645-8404
Fax: (850) 644-5016
Located in beautiful Tallahassee, Florida's capital city, a growing community with a population of more than 357,000, the Florida State University, a public, coeducational institution of the 11-member State University System of Florida, has an enrollment of over 40,000 students. The Library system includes ten libraries with combined volume holdings of over 3 million volumes. The Library is a member of ARL, ASERL, CRL, OCLC, and Lyrasis. For more information about the Florida State University Libraries, see our home page at: http://www.lib.fsu.edu/
Anticipated Salary Range
Minimum starting salary $45,000. Offer commensurate with qualifications and experience.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in the position as advertised, please apply through the Florida State University job site at https://jobs.fsu.edu.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. In one attachment, please include a cover letter with a complete statement of qualifications, a full resume of education and relevant experience, and the names, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of at least three persons who are knowledgeable about your qualifications for this position.
Applications must include work history and all education details (if applicable) even if attaching a resume.
This is a full-time, 12-month non-tenured faculty appointment. Benefits include 22 days vacation, 13 days sick leave, group medical, dental, and life insurance, an optional retirement program or state retirement, and no state or local income tax. With Dean's approval, may qualify for University tuition scholarship for up to six hours credit each semester.
This position is being re-advertised. Previous applicants need not reapply.
Tobacco Free Campus
Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf