Director of Communications, College of Informatics
Department College of Informatics
Position Number 30017603
Position Status Contract
Purpose of Position
The NKU College of Informatics is one of the few colleges in the country that unites all the information-centric disciplines into one unit, with informatics defined broadly as the "art, science, technology and business of information."
With its state-of-the-art facility Griffin Hall, continually growing enrollments, and experiential learning success stories, it has become one of the university's most visible innovations.
The success of the college is tied closely to its success in fundraising, and in this regard it requires a strong communications strategy that will bring out the unique and compelling nature of the college.
The Director of Communications will play a lead role in developing and executing this strategy.
The Director of Communications is in charge of all stakeholder communications. This requires generating and vetting ideas for marketing and communication, authoring content, and aggressively working to keep the successes of the college in the public eye.
The Director of Communications will:
• Write press releases
• Author web content to keep the college website fresh.
• Maintain relationships with the media (locally and beyond) and keep abreast of stories that mention (or should have mentioned) the college.
• Produce, edit and write annual reports/magazines for the college and its Center for Applied Informatics
• Serve on the college's Strategic Communications committee to help develop marketing/communications strategies and tactics
• Coordinate and collaborate with the University Advancement division and any external design/branding consultants engaged by NKU
• Work with the Director of Development to develop polished materials for prospective donors (philanthropic and corporate)
• Develop or enhance presentation materials (slides, prezis, one-pagers) for the dean and executive team for external use.
• Be available for editing and advice on key external documents written by the dean.
• Serve as the first media contact for the college.
The Communications Director will serve on the College of Informatics Executive Team and report directly to the dean.
This is a 13-month contract position at present, possibly renewable.
• Bachelor’s degree in Communication, Public Relations, Marketing or a related area; MA desired.
• Minimum of 6 years of experience as a communications professional with a successful track record; some experience in higher education communication is desirable.
• Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently.
• Demonstrated ability to multitask and readjust plans with ease.
• Ability to use, or learn how to use, a web content management system at a basic level.
• A refined sense of aesthetics in graphical design.
• Appreciation of the diversity of people and styles that make up a university environment.
Minimum Education Bachelor's Degree
Preferred Education Master's Degree
Minimum Experience 6 years
Posting Detail Information
Job Open Date 06/13/2014
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Quick Link http://jobs.nku.edu:80/postings/1421
Is this an internal only posting?
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- NKU Jobs Site
- Inside Higher Ed
- Employee Referral
- * Please include a writing sample or link to an online portfolio of work. Have you included a writing sample or link?
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application