Assistant Operations Manager
Supervise electrical, plumbing, and HVAC employees working with systems and equipment for all buildings including residence halls. Will work closely with Massachusetts State College Building Authority (MSCBA) on all facilities related matters involving the residence halls. Makes inspectional tours and trains staff to ensure systems are operating correctly and that standards of safety and cleanliness are properly maintained.
- Serves as the primary contact person for all facilities maintenance related issues pertaining to the Salem State University buildings
- Plans, lays-out and supervises the maintenance and repair work to be completed by electricians, HVAC technicians, plumbers and contractors in all buildings including the residence halls
- Makes inspectional tours to ensure that building mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems are operating correctly and that standards of safety and cleanliness are properly maintained
- Review, monitor, implement and recommend improvements to internal control policies and procedures as it relates to employees and functions within the department's, electrical, plumbing and HVAC shops
- Responsible for training staff in the proper procedures and safety practices in the use of materials and equipment related to maintenance
- Supervise subordinates by planning and assigning work according to the nature of the job to be accomplished, the capabilities of subordinates and available resources
- Determine training needs for subordinates and provide or arrange for such training
- Determine the need for disciplinary action and either recommend or initiate disciplinary action
- Writes specifications for and estimates the costs of repairs, installations or alterations to be completed by contract
- Reads and interprets plans, sketches, blue prints, or layouts prepared by designers
- Diagnose malfunctions of building mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems
- Performs related duties such as repairs, the requisitioning of supplies and equipment and the maintenance of such records
- Approves time for all reporting staff and maintains proper time and attendance records
- Prepares reports and performs other related duties as designated
- Baccalaureate Degree
- Minimum of five years of experience or seven years equivalent combination of part-time and full-time experience in building maintenance operations
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in the supervision of building maintenance trades workers and/or custodial and grounds operations
- Extensive knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of all the trades including equipment usage
Experience using pneumatic controls
Experience in the use of various types of hand and power tools
- Experience with and knowledge of various chemical compounds used in cooling towers, and all closed loop systems
- Experience with Commonwealth principles, practices and procedural requirements related to purchasing equipment/supplies and vendor management
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please apply online and attach resume and cover letter.
Employment is contingent upon a completed background check satisfactory to the University. Internal candidates are not subject to background check.
Salem State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Persons of color, women and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.