Medical Assistant (CMA or RMA required) ~ Internal Medicine - One Hundred Oakes
Assists physician/provider in performing office examinations and procedures. Organizes and manages clinic patient flow. Gathers/documents patient screening data. Performs in-office diagnostic testing (e.g., EKGs). Assists with patient and family education. Cleans rooms and instruments. Orders and distributes supplies. Schedules appointments and testing, directs phone calls and emails, handles physician correspondence, manages insurance referrals.
Key Functions and Expected Performances:
- Customer Service
- Uses current technology to pull patients expeditiously from waiting rooms to exam areas.
- Proactively communicates delays to patients.
- Demonstrates on-stage behavior in all setting visible to patients and visitors. Demonstrates appropriate off-stage behavior in all settings when representing VUMC.
- Proactively identifies patient/visitor needs and takes steps to assist.
- Planning and Managing Care
- Gathers screening and other data for the health care team.
- Demonstrates individual and team accountability by meeting basic patient/family needs:
i.Accompanies patients/families to exam rooms
ii.Assists with walking, transfers, dressing, collecting specimens
iii.Prepares patients for examination
iv.Performs diagnostic testing (e.g., EKGs).
- Works with MD/provider to maintain efficient, effective clinic flow; checks schedules and organizes patient flow.
- Assists MD/provider with routine office procedures.
- Fulfills clerical responsibilities:
i.Maintains patient charts and other patient care documents
ii.Prepares diagnostic testing requisitions
iii.Sends/receives and accurately routes referral and precertification information
v.Handles physician correspondence
- Communicates patient needs to MD/provider through accurate use of StarPanel message baskets.
- Insures cleanliness of exam room equipment, instruments; orders and distributes supplies.
- Assists in maintaining regulatory compliance.
- Patient/Family Education
- Distributes patient family education material as directed by clinical staff.
- Facilitates identification of resources to meet patient healthcare needs.
- Problem Solving
- Directs patient/family calls; responds to MyHealthatVanderbilt patient messages.
- Responds to patient questions/concerns/problems; refers to immediate supervisor, clinical staff or provider.
- Communication and Collaboration
- Communicates and collaborates effectively with all members of the health care team.
- Coordinates clinic flow to optimize effeciencies.
- Uses StarPanel effectively.
Background screens will be performed and education will be verified prior to employment. Please be prepared to provide required information and/or documentation.
Vanderbilt is a smoke-free workplace in compliance with the Non-Smoker Protection Act, Tennessee Code Annotated 39-17-1801-1810. In accordance with that law and Vanderbilt policy, smoking is prohibited in all buildings on Vanderbilt property and on the grounds of the campus with the exception of designated outdoor smoking areas.
Vanderbilt is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer
Job requires High school graduate or GED and 0 months of experience or the equivalent.
Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration (LCR):
(CMA or RMA required)
- Pediatric experience
Job Medical Assistant/Patient Care Technician
Primary Location TN-Nashville-Vanderbilt Health One Hundred Oaks (OHO)
Organization Internal Medicine - OHO 303920