Phlebotomist II, Mon - Fri, 0730 - 0430, Occasional Weekends/Holidays
Assumes a leadership role in Lab Liaison by being responsible for training, referencing specimens from Vanderbilt to outside laboratories, receiving specimens from outside clients and distributing to the appropriate laboratory, and assisting internal and external customers with information, reports and service.
Key Functions and Expected Performances:
- Patient involvement
- Draws blood from patients in the out-patient clinic, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric and Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospitals.
- Uses appropriate phlebotomy techniques including syringe, vacutainer and capillary skin puncture technique.
- Collects sweat chloride samples from in-patients and out-patients.
- Delivery and receipt of laboratory specimens
- Collects specimen according to test requirements.
- Labels and/or packs specimens according to laboratory protocol.
- Transports specimens from patient care area to laboratory when needed.
- Uses automatic systems such as pneumatic tube stations, specimen dumb waiter and telelift system to transport and receive laboratory specimens.
- Sends esoteric samples to out side reference laboratories when indicated.
- Orders and processes patient specimen.
- Enters and/or validates patient and specimen data such as time specimen was collected, patient location, and requested tests in CRT.
- Communicates sample problems to patient divisions and outside customers
- Discards or allows for re-label of specimen if appropriate by patient care giver.
- Processes specimens as is required by defined laboratory protocol.
- Resolves specimen problems and reports unresolved issues.
- Relays patient test results to caregivers or other medical center staff.
- Responds to phone request for laboratory-related data using appropriate telephone etiquette.
- Delivers and posts laboratory results on patient charts.
- Interacts with laboratory personnel to promote efficient and expedient specimen analysis and result reporting
- Supervision and administrative responsibilities
- Trains new employees in phlebotomy and processing procedures.
- Documents training using section check list.
- Provides lead assistance to new employees, staff and students.
- Informs supervisor of problems in individual training.
- Adjusts work assignments as necessary to accommodate work load.
- Calculates time worked on time sheets when necessary.
- Participates in monthly Quality Improvement meetings and the Quality Program in the laboratory.
- Supplies and reagents.
- Completes inventory of supplies and stocks supply items as needed on a daily or weekly basis.
- Documents receipt and opening of supplies and items.
- Restocks items used to insure availability to the next person/shift.
- Monitors expiration dates of supplies and discards old items.
Job requires High school graduate or GED and 1 year of experience or the equivalent.
Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration (LCR):
Job Clinical Labs/Pathology
Primary Location TN-Nashville-The Vanderbilt Clinic (TVC)
Organization Medical Center East Lab 201438