|Job Description Summary||
This position provides for the safety and security of San Juan College students, staff, faculty and visitors.
San Juan College is committed to serving the needs of our students through a process of continuous quality improvement. We uphold and affirm the following iCARE values:
|Duties & Responsibilities||
• Conducts patrols of college buildings and grounds; provides assistance to those in need; provides traffic control during special events and emergencies.
• Responds to emergency situations, including fire alarms, burglar alarms, medical incidents and other emergency situations.
• Enforces parking regulations as indicated by the Farmington Municipal Code; issues citations; appears in court as needed.
• Serves as a liaison to law enforcement agencies, fire departments, emergency medical services, and other government entities.
• Prepares incident reports.
• Participates in emergency drills and training.
• Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
• Knowledge of college policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of public safety principles as related to college campuses.
• Knowledge of campus security principles.
• Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
• Skill in decision making and problem solving.
• Skill in the completion of a variety of reports.
• Skill in oral and written communication.
• Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
• Skill in working effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
The Assistant Director assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include San Juan College behavioral conduct codes; related local, state and federal laws; OSHA guidelines; the San Juan County Emergency Operations Plan; and college and department policies and procedures. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
• The work consists of related campus security duties. The necessity of preparing for unforeseen emergencies contributes to the complexity of the position.
• The purpose of this position is to provide for the security of college students, staff, faculty, visitors and property. Success in this position contributes to the provision of a safe campus environment.
• Contacts are typically with co-workers, other college personnel, faculty, staff, representatives of local law enforcement and emergency response agencies, students, and members of the general public.
• Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, to resolve problems, to provide services, or to motivate or influence persons.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
• The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, or walking. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, and utilizes the sense of smell.
• The work is typically performed in an office and outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
• Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent.
• Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of specific industry certification or training or having had a similar position for one to two years.
• Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of New Mexico for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
|Special Instructions to Applicants||
Three letters of recommendation will be required if selected as candidate for interview and must be provided BEFORE the scheduled date of interview.