Director of Programs, Yale Leadership Center in Beijing (New Haven, CT-based)
Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
STARS Requisition Number 25799BR
Department Sch of Management
University Job Title Director, Yale Leadership Center
Posting Position Title Director of Programs, Yale Leadership Center in Beijing (New Haven, CT-based)
Bargaining Unit None
Job Category Managerial & Professional
Position MP Overtime Eligible? No
Type of Employment Full Time
Duration Type Regular
Salary Grade MU
Work Location Central Campus
Worksite Address 165 Whit (Mail:SOM)
Work Week Standard (M-F equal number of hours per day)
Position Focus: Reporting to the Senior Associate Dean for the Executive MBA and Global Programs at Yale School of Management (SOM), the Director of Programs, Yale Leadership Center in Beijing, has responsibility for working with Deans and faculty to develop and design Yale programs that will take place at the University's new Leadership Center in Beijing. Such programs include executive leadership development programs that will be designed and delivered by all of Yale's Schools, Councils and Centers to engage Chinese leaders in government, civil society, business, the academy, and the arts; a variety of cultural, scientific, and academic forums that facilitate dialog and engagement between Yale and China; and programming to support local alumni- and stakeholder communities. The operations of the Center will be under the direction of the School of Management, where the Director of Programs will be based. Work very closely with the Beijing-based Executive Director who supervises the Center's operations, leads engagement with Chinese counterparts, and provides important input into the portfolio strategy for the Center.
Department URL Address: Click here for more information
Principal Responsibilities 1. The Director of Programs will play a critical role in leading the definition and execution of the program portfolio strategy for the Center and its evolution over time. Working with the Senior Associate Dean for the Executive MBA and Global Programs, the Director will engage academic and administrative units across the entire university, gauge interest for programs, share best practices, cross-pollinize, and work to deliver a set of programmatic offerings to the Center in Beijing that is informed by pressing global issues and that reflects Yale's intellectual breadth, depth, and commitment to China.
2. The Director of Programs will be the main point of contact for programmatic activity at the Center vis-a-vis other SOM departments as well as across the university. This is a high-visibility role that requires active networking and serving diverse constituencies and programmatic needs.
3. In collaboration with the SOM Executive Education team and the Center's Beijing-based Executive Director, the Director of Programs will work to secure new executive leadership programs from Chinese and international entities by matching their needs with faculty expertise at Yale and, if appropriate, beyond.
4. In collaboration with SOM Development and Alumni Relations, the Director of Programs will organize events and activities for SOM alumni and friends in Greater China to facilitate networking among them and to strengthen their ties with Yale. The Director will work with the University's Association of Yale Alumni to facilitate similar events and activities for the broader Yale alumni community.
5. In collaboration with the SOM Admissions Office and the various degree programs, the Director of Programs will organize information sessions and other promotional events to identify and inform top candidates about Yale SOM degree programs. The Director will work with the Yale College Office of Undergraduate Admissions and other Yale admissions teams to facilitate similar events and activities for other Yale degree programs.
6. In collaboration with the SOM Career Development Office and the Beijing-based Executive Director, develop relationships with potential employers of for SOM graduates in Greater China and beyond. He or she will support the Career Development efforts of the other schools to the extent possible.
7. In coordination with the Senior Associate Dean, the Director of Programs will establish a set of metrics to evaluate the Center's performance in terms of the quality, breadth, visibility, and impact of programmatic activities across the Center's key constituencies, and report annually to key stakeholders at Yale and, where appropriate, beyond on the Center's progress.
8. In coordination with the Senior Associate Dean for the Executive MBA and Global Programs and the Senior Associate Dean for Alumni and Development, the Director of Programs will staff the Board of Advisers for the Yale Leadership Center in Beijing, maintain regular contact with its members, update them frequently on key development, and organize annual Board meetings.
9. In collaboration with the SOM Communications Office and the Beijing-based Executive Director, develop a plan to communicate effectively about the Center's activities and impact through both traditional and digital media challenges, including a dedicated Center website.Required Education and Experience 1. Bachelor's degree and 7 years related experience including corporate strategy and/or marketing/relationship building experience. Experience with or in an educational setting a plus. MBA or other terminal degree preferred.
2. Demonstrable credibility with deans and directors, as well as top faculty, at academic units of Yale's caliber.
3. Demonstrable credibility with senior executives and strong relationship capabilities with counterparts in business, civil society, and government.
4. Superior demonstrated written and oral communication and presentation skills; ability to craft and articulate messages for various audiences. Fluency in mandarin a definite plus.
5. Ability to build and develop strong internal and external relationships.
6. Creative problem solver with the ability to offer innovative, consensus-building solutions.
7. Entrepreneurial drive and proven record of successfully developing and launching revenue-generating projects.
8. High-level analytical skills and ability to deploy resources efficiently and effectively.
Required Skill/Ability 1: Demonstrable credibility with deans, directors, top faculty, senior executives and strong relationship capabilities with counterparts in business, civil society, and government. Ability to build strong internal and external relationships.
Required Skill/Ability 2: Superior demonstrated written and oral communication and presentation skill; ability to craft and articulate messages for various audiences.
Required Skill/Ability 3: Creative problem solving with ability to offer innovative, consensus-building solutions.
Required Skill/Ability 4: Entrepreneurial drive and proven record of successfully developing and launching revenue-generating projects.
Required Skill/Ability 5: High-level analytical skills and ability to deploy resources efficiently and effectively.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: MBA or other terminal degree and experience with or in an educational setting. Fluency in mandarin.
Weekend Hours Required? Occasional
Evening Hours Required? Occasional
Drug Screen No
Health Screening No
Background Check Requirements All External candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Posting Disclaimer The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.