Research Assistant I
This is a full-time, non-exempt term position lasting six months to one year.
Provide, under direct supervision, support for specified research projects; collect, assess, and communicate data/results. Assist in general laboratory operation and inventory.
Key Functions and Expected Performances:
- Under supervision, run experiments, assays, and record results
- Read and follow experimental protocols (May include animal handling, tissue culture, etc.)
- Compile and communicate results to supervisor
- Follow University safety protocols (may include use of combustibles, radioactivity, toxic material, and/or carcinogenics)
- Perform calculations involving molarity, % solutions, and serial dilutions
- Prepare and operate equipment in experimental procedures
- May include blood gas analyzer, centrifuge, pH meter, spectrophotometer, autoclave, scintillation counter, electrophoresis unit, analytical balance, etc.
- Maintain and repair equipment according to manufacturer and university guidelines.
- Ensure laboratory is prepared for experiments
- Maintain inventories,
- Maintain sterile conditions as required
- Prepare reagents
The ideal candidate will have experience with statistics and statistical programs and have experience working with protocols.
A Term position is a staff position that exists for a period longer than six months but is not expected to last beyond one year. Although a position may exist for a specified or indefinite period, staff who accept term positions are not guaranteed employment for the entire period; they are employed for indefinite periods within the limit of the appointment. There are no guarantees of continued employment, either within the term or when the term ends.
Job requires a Bachelor's degree or the equivalent.
Primary Location TN-Nashville-Medical Center North (MCN)
Organization Pediatric Infectious Disease 104606