Intercollegiate Athletics - ASSISTANT COACH MEN'S LACROSSE
ASSISTANT COACH MEN'S LACROSSE-000323
As a member of the coaching staff responsibilities include working closely with the Head Coach to develop and coach an NCAA Division III athletic team. Coaching staff responsibilities include recruitment, and coaching athletes and teams in the College NCAA Division III athletics program,teaching courses in the PALS and/or professioal physical education program and/or carrying out assigned administrative responsibilities within the Intercollegiate Athletics department. Actively ensure compliance with all NCAA and Ithaca College rules and regulations. Participate in establishing goals and objectives for each season; monitor the academic progress of student-athletes: and participate in various fundraising projects and other activities (e.g. community service)designed to promote and enhance personal development of the student-athlete,the assigned sport and overall athletic program. Design and provide instruction and supervision on individual and team skills and physical health and safety to student athletes.
This position reports to Director of Intercollegiate Athletics & Recreational Sports and will receive direction, guidance and supervision from the assigned head coach. This position and will provide guidance and direction to other staff and student assistants as assigned by the Office of Intercollegiate Athletics. The Dean of the School of Health Sciences and Human Performance or designee will supervise teaching responsibilities.
1. Participate in planning and conducting in-season and where appropriate and permissible non-traditional and post-season team/individual athlete practices and competitions; using ones own discretion and independent judgment develop and implement conditioning programs, practice and competition related activities for teams and or/individuals.
2. Design instructions for individual student athletes and for specific team needs, and teach proper skills, skill development, and team concepts to student athletes.
3. Provide student athletes with instruction regarding physical health and safety and promote student athlete safety and well being.
4. Analyze opponent performance and provide recommendations for strategies and tactics for utilization during competition play.
5. Participate in establishing goals and objectives for each season in consultation with the head coach; complete various reports and establish and maintain accurate records of all team data and statistics.
6. Actively develop recruitment strategies in accordance with NCAA bylaws, identify students to recruit and high schools to visit; provide recommendations to the head coach and carry out correspondence with prospective student athletes by mail, telephone, and e-mail. Participate in on-campus and off-campus visits and various meetings with recruits and other members of the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics program, including the Director.
7. Evaluate and participate in the selection of student athletes to include assessment of individual academic eligibility and overall skill levels; coordinate the process of selecting, maintaining, monitoring and evaluating team members to include athlete talent assessment, academic eligibility and individual sport performance.
8. Monitor the academic progress of assigned student athletes and ensure compliance with NCAA, College, and conference regulations; provide council to student athletes regarding goals, academic success and other personal and sport related issues.
9. Teach assigned courses within the PALS Program and/or carry out assigned administrative responsibilities equal to the teaching assignment.
10. Attend and participate in national or regional level coaching clinics as approved by the Head Coach and Director.
11. Provide assistance with establishing and arranging practice and competition schedules; ensure appropriate travel arrangements have been made to include mode of transportation, lodging, and meals; submit an itinerary to the Director of Athletics and Associate Director as scheduled.
12. Oversee the distribution and recovery of all equipment and uniforms. Work with the Equipment Manager to establish and maintain an inventory control system; recommend the purchase or replacement of uniforms and equipment.
13. Assist the head coach in identifying problems and/or concerns regarding athletic facilities and work with the Associate Director of Athletics to resolve any facility-related concerns.
14. If assigned,ensure officials have been secured for all home games.
15. Engage in various fundraising projects and related programs and activities promoting the assigned sport and the athletics program. Participate in public relations opportunities with faculty, staff, students, alumni, and news media.
16. Serve on various College-sponsored and other committees; seek out opportunities to serve on national and regional sports committees.
Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 1 year related experience; demonstrated ability to plan and conduct pre-season,in-season and non-traditional and post-season team/individual athlete practices and competitions; experience developing and implementing conditioning programs for teams and or/individuals, experience recruiting athletes, scheduling and coordinating special events or athletic contests, excellent organizational, interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills, and strong attention to detail are required. Masters degree or progress towards an advanced degree, previous experience working in a college or university athletics department, and national certification in strength and conditioning preferred.
Instructions for submitting your application: Interested applicants should apply on-line at http://www.ithaca.edu/jobs/ and attach a cover letter, resume, and a list containing the contact information for at least three professional references. Questions about the online application process should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at 607-274-8000. Screening of applicants will begin immediately.
Salary Band: CO.1.FTA
Target Start Date: Aug 16, 2014
FLSA Status: Exempt
Opening Date (Period for Applying) - External: Jun 24, 2014, 12:00:00 AM
Benefit eligible: benefits-eligible
Work Authorization: visa sponsorship is not provided for this position
EEO Statement Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.