University Police Investigator 1
Budget Title: same as above
Department: University Police
State Classified Position
State Line#: 40190
Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC
Required Qualifications: Per Civil Service Standards and Specifications. Must have taken and passed the required University Police Investigator I state Civil Service exam and be reachable on the appropriate current Civil Service list. Requires one year of experience as University Police Officer I. Must have, keep and maintain the appropriate valid NYS Driver's License; have a motor vehicle record which is free from major violations or a pattern of repeat violations. Must be able to perform mandatory overtime.
Brief Description of Duties: The University Police Investigator will investigate crimes and other matters affecting security at the campus in order to assist in the apprehension and prosecution of suspects and violators. The incumbent will regularly interview witnesses, victims, complainants and suspects and coordinate with local police officials to obtain relevant information. The incumbent will continuously seek information pertaining to law enforcement investigations regarding criminal acts and/or violations of University regulations. S/he will periodically instruct other members of the University Police organization in law enforcement and investigative techniques and meet with student organizations, groups, faculty and staff to discuss security problems, explain the mission of the University Police, and develop positive, cooperative relationships between University Police and the campus community. The successful candidate will:
- Investigate crimes and incidents using the full range of investigative techniques including surveillance and interviews in order to assist in the apprehension and prosecution of suspects and violators.
- Interview victims, complainants, witnesses and suspects in order to obtain information used in determining criminal guilt, recovering stolen property and preparing depositions and confessions while exercising discretion in determining the content, scope and extent of questioning, and observing the civil and constitutional rights of those questioned. Prepare paperwork, ensuring proper interrogation and investigative techniques are employed and that proper chain of custody of evidence is maintained. Testify at criminal proceedings, i.e. Grand Jury, Huntley hearing and trial.
- Confer with other law enforcement officials and district attorneys to convey and obtain information relevant to the conduct of investigations. Attend various required training courses.
- Meet with faculty, staff and students to discuss security problems and develop cooperative relationships between the University Police and campus community.
- Conduct confidential background investigations of prospective employees in the Classified and Unclassified Service and employees of the University Police Department.
Other Duties: As assigned.
Special Notes: This is a full time position, 40 hours per week, days and hours vary. FLSA Nonexempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Mandatory rehire roster candidates have preference. Night and weekend work is required. Travel to training courses will be required for this position.
Essential Position: This has been designated as an essential position based on the duties of the job and the functions performed. Positions that are designated as such are required to report to work/remain at work even if classes are cancelled, and the campus is working on limited operations in an emergency.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Application Procedure: Those who are interested in this position and meet the required qualifications, should submit a State employment application to:
Human Resource Services
State Classified Appointments
390 Administration Building
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-0751
Applications for this position must be received, as specified in the Application Procedure Section, no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time on 07/15/2014, unless specifically noted otherwise in the Special Notes Section.
STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE ENCOURAGE PROTECTED VETERANS, INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES, WOMEN AND MINORITIES TO APPLY.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Job Category: F) Public Safety and Security.
Posting Date: 07/01/2014