Dining Services Manager
Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
STARS Requisition Number 24640BR
Department Dining Srvcs
University Job Title Dining Services Manager 2
Posting Position Title Dining Services Manager
Bargaining Unit None
Job Category Managerial & Professional
Type of Employment Full Time
Duration Type Regular
Salary Grade 24
Work Location Central Campus
Worksite Address 246 Church
Work Week Standard (M-F equal number of hours per day)
Position Focus: Leads and manages operational excellence of Yale dining units. Provides leadership for professional staff and union employees to ensure excellence and high quality hospitality standards are successfully implemented at assigned dining facilities. Review of materials will begin when and if there is a confirmed opening.
Department URL Address: Click here for more information
Principal Responsibilities 1. Direct the preparation, production and service of meals utilizing a standardized recipe file and established departmental policies and procedures.
2. Develop and monitor the operating budget and provide weekly updates; process weekly payrolls and maintain necessary documentation.
3. Supervise and coordinate the activities of dining hall staff, consisting of cooks, pantry workers, general service assistants, desk attendants, student workers, and in some locations, an Assistant Manager and/or Manager-in-Training.
4. Provide ongoing coaching, training, guidance and direction to staff members; maintain positive employee relations and resolve issues in a timely and proactive manner; responsible for performance management of staff; participate in and respond to grievances.
5. Forecast meal counts and determine production quantities for menu items; prepare orders for food, cleaning supplies, paper products, small utensils, and other products as required.
6. Supervise receiving and storage activities; responsible for sanitation and security of all storage facilities; maintain inventory records as instructed.
7. Direct the processing and preparation of food for catered events; coordinate arrangements with catering personnel to service event and supervise the service of the event; determine costs, compile and submit billing information.
8. Maintain excellent customer relations with masters, faculty, staff and students.
9. Provide unit sanitation and adherence to proper food handling procedures.
10. Responsible for customer admittance procedures and records including cash control.
11. May perform other duties as assigned.Required Education and Experience Bachelor's Degree in Hotel/Restaurant Administration or a related field.
Two year previous food production experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1: Proven track record of successfully managing a catering operation and catering events.
Required Skill/Ability 2: Excellent customer service orientation.
Required Skill/Ability 3: Ability to meet the budget.
Required Skill/Ability 4: Ability to manage, develop and coach unionized team of employees.
Required Skill/Ability 5: Ability to manage special events as needed.
Required Licenses or Certifications Certification in food protection program.
Physical Requirements: Sustained standing; frequent bending.
Weekend Hours Required? Yes
Evening Hours Required? Yes
Drug Screen No
Health Screening No
Background Check Requirements All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Posting Disclaimer The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.