Finance & Administration, Director
Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
Original Posting Date 30-Oct-2013
STARS Requisition Number 23386BR
Department Diagnostic Radiology
University Job Title Lead Administrator 3
Posting Position Title Finance & Administration, Director
Bargaining Unit None
Job Category Managerial & Professional
Type of Employment Full Time
Duration Type Regular
Salary Grade M7
Work Location Medical School Campus
Worksite Address TE
Work Week Standard (M-F equal number of hours per day)
Position Focus: Reporting formally to the Chair of the Department of Diagnostic Radiology and to the Deputy Dean, Yale School of Medicine (YSM) Finance and Administration, the Director of Finance and Administration for the Department of Diagnostic Radiology is a strategic administrative partner to the Diagnostic Radiology leadership, the chief financial steward and leader of administrative support services for the department. Identifies, mobilizes, and ensures that the department's faculty, students and staff receive high quality administrative support in a manner compliant with University policies and procedures. Directs, plans, and manages the comprehensive business affairs of the department, including management and analysis of Departmental budgets, program development, information systems, human resources, staff training and development, facilities management, and regulatory compliance.
Manages annual operating budget of approximately $55.8 million, including $44.3 million in clinical activity and $11.5 million in research and restricted. In addition, has overall responsibility for two Internal Service Providers (MRRC & PET), which brings in approximately $14 million annually. The department consists of 219 faculty and staff, 53 C&T's and 41 post doc fellows/post doc associates. Diagnostic Radiology is comprised of 14 buildings equally 55,171 total square feet.
Principal Responsibilities 1. Strategic Partner: Achievement of the organization's mission and goals by working in close partnership with the organization leader, faculty, staff, students and service providers to develop and implement the organization's strategy. Understands and monitors external and internal factors influencing the organization's mission and goals. Plans for financial and non-financial resources required for the organization to achieve its goals. Supports organization and program leaders in conceptualizing, prioritizing, and planning new programs or program changes. Supports, and when necessary drives, the organization's process for strategic planning with key faculty and staff.
2. University Citizen: Connects the organization and the University through communication, alignment of priorities, implementation of initiatives, and active engagement in organization or University administrative priorities. Effectively represents organization needs, challenges, and opportunities at the University level. Proactively shares knowledge and best practices with others.
3. Financial Analyst and Advisor: Provides comprehensive financial information, analysis and advice to optimize use of the organization's financial resources. Creates and updates long range financial plan(s), reflecting all critical issues. Identifies available financial resources (current and future), and advises and deploys efficiently to best support organization objectives. Prepares all-funds budgets, analyzes financial activities and performance against budget, makes adjustments and takes action as needed.
4. Risk Management Administrator: Implements and maintains strong internal controls to provide reasonable assurance of effective and appropriate resource use, accurate financial information, adherence to contractual obligations and agreements, policies, procedures, and external regulatory requirements. Identifies, communicates, addresses and escalates risks in a timely and appropriate manner to protect the assets, resources, information and reputation of the organization and the University. Ensures all faculty and staff understand the regulations and Yale requirements as they pertain to their scope of activity.
5. Talent Manager and Developer: Ensures the organization employs effective practices for retaining, attracting and developing talent in line with University guidelines and contractual agreements. Ensures that all organization staff participate in the University's performance management and career development processes. Ensures the needs of the organization's current and future talent are assessed periodically and that issues are addressed, facilitating the movement of talent where appropriate and developing Business Operations staff. Cultivates a diversity of backgrounds and perspectives in the organization. Assures that the organization follows appropriate School and University policies and procedures related to Human Resources.
6. Administrative Services Leader: Ensures efficient and effective completion of all administrative and financial services provided to the organization. Ensures high quality delivery of administrative services by providers outside the organization, including human resources, information technology, procurement, student services, post-doctoral affairs and faculty affairs. Establishes, monitors, and meets or exceeds targets for operational excellence. Identifies and implements opportunities to achieve continuous improvement of processes. Responsible for building and managing a team of high-performance administrative and financial professionals.
7. May perform other duties as assigned.Required Education and Experience Minimum of a bachelor's degree and ten years progressively responsible experience 5 of which are in a leadership role; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Demonstrated fiscal responsibility and comprehensive knowledge of accounting, financial reporting and analysis.
Demonstrated experience with complex strategic planning and resource allocation.
Demonstrated experience in managing relationships and influencing outcomes.
Demonstrated creativity and effectiveness in a complex organization.
Demonstrated success in developing people and organizations.
Required Skill/Ability 1: Well-developed managerial, decision-making, planning, organizational, problem-resolution and leadership skills.
Required Skill/Ability 2: Demonstrated ability to manage people on a day-to-day basis and inspire a high level of commitment and performance.
Required Skill/Ability 3: Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to adapt communication style to address the needs of individuals at all levels throughout the University. High-level strategic planning skills.
Required Skill/Ability 4: Visionary with ability to influence. Ability to generate a strategic vision and to influence people to achieve this vision. Ability to negotiate skillfully with both internal and external constituents.
Required Skill/Ability 5: Ability to anticipate changes in the business environment and proactively manage change. Solid understanding of internal control concepts and the implementation of internal control systems in a complex business environment.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: MBA or Advanced Degree. Thorough working knowledge of finance, fund accounting and financial reporting analysis. Experience preparing budgets, forecasts and financial plans; integrating multiple, complex pieces of financial information to identify themes, trends, and issues. Experience in a highly regulated organization.
Weekend Hours Required? Yes
Evening Hours Required? Yes
Drug Screen No
Health Screening No
Background Check Requirements All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. Internal candidates may be subject to a motor vehicle or credit check for this position based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of the required background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Posting Disclaimer The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.