Dining Services Manager
STARS Requisition Number 25104BR
Department Dining Srvcs
University Job Title Dining Manager 3, Catering, Retail and Restaurant
Posting Position Title Dining Services Manager
Bargaining Unit None
Job Category Managerial & Professional
Position MP Overtime Eligible? No
Type of Employment Full Time
Duration Type Regular
Salary Grade 25
Work Location Central Campus
Worksite Address 246 Church Street
Work Week Standard (M-F equal number of hours per day)
Position Focus: Provides guest satisfaction and high quality food for students, faculty, staff, and other customers. Coordinates with the team in various capacities, including retail caf, restaurant, catering and events. Leads and manages the operations of the University dining events. Provides leadership for professional staff and union employees to ensure excellence and high quality food hospitality standards are successfully implemented.
Department URL Address: Click here for more information
Principal Responsibilities 1. Develops and executes plan that creates memorable dining experiences for the cafe and restaurant, through high-level customer satisfaction and meeting financial targets.
2. Plans and approves external and internal marketing and sales promotion activities for the food and beverage department.
3. Develops an operating budget for each of the department's revenue outlets; monitors and takes corrective action to ensure that budget goals are attained.
4. Assures all standard operating procedures for revenue and cost control are in place and consistently utilized.
5. Provides managerial oversight in the planning, preparation, production and delivery of exceptional food and service to students, faculty, guests and conferees on a daily basis; in compliance with established university and departmental policies and procedures.
6. Manages, supervises, and coordinates the activities of team. Responsible for performance management, including routine job performance feedback and formal appraisals.
7. Facilitates local Joint Departmental Committee (JDC), weekly staff meetings, ongoing training, guidance and direction to staff members to include work rules, practical functions, customer service and operational excellence. When/if necessary follow up with progressive coaching, counseling and disciplinary process.
8. Manages catered and special events to include quality assurance both in food and service, including proper staffing level for event execution, determines costs, compiles and submits billing information.
9. Assists in managing the operating budget for assigned unit(s) and provides weekly updates; produces and maintains operational and other business reporting as required.
10. Coordinates bookings for conferences and events, and communicates with the University Catering. Assures that effective orientation and training for new staff and professional development activities for experienced staff are planned and implemented.
11. Ensures that all legal requirements are consistently adhered to including federal, state and/or local laws pertaining to alcoholic beverages and food safety and sanitation.
12. May perform others duties as assigned.Required Education and Experience Bachelor's degree in a related field three to five years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1: Proven track record of successfully managing dining and hospitality units and events.
Required Skill/Ability 2: Excellent customer service orientation.
Required Skill/Ability 3: Ability to manage food production.
Required Skill/Ability 4: Ability to manage, develop and coach unionized team of employees.
Required Skill/Ability 5: Ability to manage special events as needed.
Physical Requirements: Sustained standing; frequent bending.
Move, lift and carry supplies, equipment, and materials weighing up to 25 pounds without assistance from floor to waist height and 20 pounds to shoulder height.
Carry supplies up or down stairs if necessary.
Work in confined areas with wide temperature variations.
Lift items above shoulder height.
May be required to travel to and from units and/or events.
Weekend Hours Required? Yes
Evening Hours Required? Yes
Drug Screen Yes
Health Screening Yes
Background Check Requirements All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Posting Disclaimer The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.