Student Services Officer 3
STARS Requisition Number 24279BR
Department University Financial Aid
University Job Title Student Services Officer 3, SFAS
Posting Position Title Student Services Officer 3
Bargaining Unit None
Job Category Managerial & Professional
Type of Employment Full Time
Duration Type Regular
Salary Grade 23
Work Location Central Campus
Worksite Address 246 Church
Work Week Standard (M-F equal number of hours per day)
Position Focus: Student Financial Services (SFS) consists of M & P employees plus C & T clerical assistants, serving the financial services needs of approximately 11,000 students at Yale University. The SFS staff interacts with prospective, current and past students concerning all matters related to financing a Yale education. The Student Services Officer (SSO) must be conversant with all forms of financial aid (scholarships, grants, loans, and jobs) and may be responsible for putting together financial aid packages for Yale College students. The SSO provides assistance to Yale students with student billing statements, loan application procedures, the online FAFSA, Need Access and Profile forms, and any other aspect of the financial aid application process.
SFS is committed to providing the utmost in high-quality, accurate and timely service regarding all aspects of student financial services.
Department URL Address: Click here for more information
Principal Responsibilities 1. Provides comprehensive financial services for prospective and current students. This may include assisting students and families with completing financial aid applications, determining eligibility for funds, explaining the terms and conditions of financial aid award, reviewing student accounts, resolving billing errors and discussing financing options.
2. Responsible for a set case load of financial aid applicants each year, performing need analysis and determining financial aid awards (using federal, institutional, state and private funds).
3. Determines appropriate financial aid award adjustments for review requests and loan and budget adjustment petitions; discusses such changes with students and parents.
4. Performs financial aid verification according to federal and institutional policies.
5. Counsels students and parents via telephone, in-person visits, written inquiries and email. Assists them with complex financial aid and billing issues.
6. Responsible for implementing, coordinating, and monitoring a specific program area such as the financial hold process, summer financial aid awards, publications, loan changes, outside aid verification and adjustment, financial aid processing, directing the aid program at the graduate or professional school, etc.
7. Communicates with other campus offices and outside agencies regarding financial aid and/or billing concerns.
8. Prepares written responses to center inquires.
9. May perform other duties assigned.Required Education and Experience Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field and four years of experience in a related area or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1: Demonstrated skills leading project or team by communicating effectively, problem solving and motivating team members.
Required Skill/Ability 2: Customer service experience is required. Customer service experience in an academic environment preferred.
Required Skill/Ability 3: Strong interpersonal skills; ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations. Candidate must be empathetic to students during possible difficult and sometimes emotional financial situations.
Required Skill/Ability 4: Demonstrated proficiency in Excel with the ability to manipulate and understand data sets and excel formulas; attention to detail and accuracy are crucial.
Required Skill/Ability 5: Superior organizational, problem resolution skills and time management skills.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: Experience in admissions, financial aid and/or student services and understanding of regulatory law.
Weekend Hours Required? No
Evening Hours Required? No
Drug Screen No
Health Screening No
Background Check Requirements All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Posting Disclaimer The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.