LAN Administrator Lead
University of North Texas
LAN Administrator Lead
IT Shared Services (ITSS) is part of the Finance Division of The University of North Texas System. The mission of ITSS is simple: to be the best at delivering customer-aligned IT solutions and services. Our services are provided to all member institutions using an IT shared services governance model.
IT Shared Services provides the primary technology used by all campuses to support their operations. These include: shared resources of data centers, computing hardware, software applications, network and voice communications, collaboration and productivity capabilities, central web services, risk management, and security and compliance services. As a department, we strive to provide the most professional personnel possible to serve our campus constituents.
The University of North Texas is a state employer offering great benefits, including medical, dental, life, retirement, ample paid time off, and great work/life balance.
The function of this position is:
* Performs highly complex (senior-level) work.
* Coordinating activities associated with a local area network
* Coordinating local network Infrastructure design and installation, policy development, training, monitoring, and analysis of existing hardware and software
* Evaluating potential network enhancements
* Assigns and supervises the work of others
* Works under limited supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment
* Provide project management and communications expertise including budgeting, planning, order processing, scheduling and implementation
* General network support including product evaluation, configuration, debugging and performance monitoring for the Network upgrade Project (NUP) for UNT System networks.
* Provide campus LAN operations support including Layer 3 building aggregation and Layer 2 switch access and after hours network installation, monitoring and reconfiguration and provide performance consulting to the university community
* Monitor Data Communications equipment maintenance and update maintenance database regularly including maintenance charges for other UNT departments
* Maintain proper documentation for all supported systems and help produce appropriate training materials to train peer Data Communications staff
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
(These examples are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed in positions allocated to this class.)
* Work with various platforms and OS types to support network connectivity over common network technologies such LAN, WAN, VPN, Internet, intranets, xtranets, telephony, VoIP, and other networks.
* Hands on design, configuration, operation and ongoing maintenance of network hardware and support of Layer 2 switching protocols (STP, PVST, RTSP, MST), VLANs, Aggregated Ethernet, and 802.1q tagging, IGMP and DHCP snooping.
* Operating knowledge of IP addressing, TCP/IP and IPv4 protocols including DNS, DHCP, ICMP, SNMP and testing tools such as Ping, Trace route, Nslookup.
* Knowledge of common network infrastructure troubleshooting techniques for rogue detection and interference and working knowledge of common network monitoring resources such as Nagios, Cacti/MRTG/PRTG and diagnostic tools such as sniffers and wire shark.
* Manage inventory of network hardware including but not limited to configuration backups, and maintenance.
UNT is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. It is our policy to provide Equal Employment Opportunities (including provisions for training, development, transfer and promotion) for all individuals without regard to race, sex, religion, color, national origin, disability, or veteran's status.
Bachelor's Degree in related field and five years of related computing work experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
*Ability to plan, assign and supervise the work of subordinates
*Prior experience with specific systems, equipment and software may be specified as needed by department.
*Considerable knowledge of principles of computing and/or communications networks, and characteristics of computing hardware and software used in distributed environments.
*Ability to supervise and train subordinates.
*Ability to operate computer keyboards and to install computer hardware.
*Ability to assimilate, retain and utilize technical and applications-oriented information
The preferred candidate will have the following qualifications:
* Excellent oral and written communication skills and must demonstrate good team work with peer groups and users
* Familiarity with fiber based optical CWDM systems.
* Experience with server administration.
* An overall understanding of TCP/IP, the OSI model, and standard Internet IP networking concepts (CIDR, VLSM, DNS)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.
For more information and to apply, visit: https://jobs.unt.edu
UNT is an AA/EOE/ADA.