Adjunct Faculty-Geology (Brookhaven)
Division: Sci/Math - Brookhaven
Position Number: 021311049
Position Type: Faculty
Exempt or Non-Exempt: Exempt
Appointment Type: Part Time
Is Grant Funded?: No
Work Days/Hours: Will Vary
Posting Number: 02520
Job Description Summary/Essential Duties:
Position(s) to begin at Brookhaven College for Spring 2014.
Teaches students effectively in assigned classes and maintains office hours for student consultation. Provides students with a written course syllabus. Participates in the evaluation of the instructional process and uses innovative strategies to continually improve learning. Participates in development and support of their discipline by recommending books and materials, revising curricula, and recommending teaching assignments when appropriate. Maintains accurate and complete course records. Performs professional activities and assumes professional responsibilities as agreed upon with the division dean, and works with colleagues to achieve shared goals and visions. Values the collaborative process. Uses knowledge of diverse communities and learning styles and has the ability to incorporate diversity of delivery of such learning styles in instruction. Participates in student advising and registration. Utilizes technology to facilitate learning and to access data, maintain records, generate reports, and communicate with others. Meets professional assignments in accordance with the Systems calendar and contractual obligations. Complies with Districts board policy, state and federal policy, and the student code of conduct as appropriate. Commits to college mission and goals through participating in planning division objectives and budget requests. Serves on and attends college committees as assigned. Participates in campus commencement exercise(s) as required and attends other required college meetings and activities. Participates in his/her own performance appraisal. Demonstrates ability to work effectively with persons from diverse backgrounds. May work with student clubs and/or organizations. Demonstrates verbal and written communication skills to support and enhance effective interaction between Districts and other organizations, businesses and community groups as well as faculty, staff and students from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds. Promotes the college in the community by participating in a variety of marketing activities. Participates in professional development activities. Performs other duties as assigned.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- The application alone is used to determine if minimum requirements are met.
- The completion of all related sections is required even if submitting a resume.
- Part time work experience counts as half time work experience. For example, 12 months of part time work equals 6 months full time work experience.
When uploading personal documents such as transcripts, resumes, etc., please remove security sensitive information such as social security numbers and date of birth.
- Documents bearing this information will be removed from the online application system and your applications will be considered incomplete.
# of Months:
Open Until Filled: YesMinimum Qualifications:
Master’s degree or higher in a related discipline AND at least 18 graduate hours in Geological Science.
Excellent oral and written communication skills to interact with students of varying diverse backgrounds. Demonstrated skills in successfully working with diverse populations through experiences such as formal training and past work experiences. The ability to provide quality customer service. Official transcripts will be required at time of interview. A criminal background check will be conducted.
Position Specific Qualifications:
- This position will involve teaching lecture and/or labs in Earth Science, Physical Geology, Historical Geology or Oceanography courses.
One year of teaching is a plus
- The most successful candidate should be available to teach classes in the morning, afternoon or evening.
- Unofficial transcripts for any graduate degree(s) obtained are required at the time of application (to include all graduate work).
- Official transcripts will be required prior to employment.