Research Lab Aide III - Molecular Medicine
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Program in Molecular Medicine offers within its building a broad spectrum of state-of-the-art methodologies to its laboratory groups including deep sequencing, ultrafast 3D digital imaging microscopy (wide field and TIRF) of live cells, spinning disc confocal microscopy, x-ray crystallography, mouse metabolic phenotyping, mouse knockout technology and RNAi-based gene silencing in vitro and in vivo. The Medical School Core facilities also make available a large number of additional technologies such as FACS analysis, gene profiling using microarrays, proteomics and both shRNA and small molecule screening.
Under the direct supervision of the Department Administrator or designee, the Research Laboratory Aide III performs general laboratory duties in support of research experiments.
UMass Medical School is committed to being an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and recognizes the power of a diverse community. We encourage applications from protected veterans, individuals with disabilities and those with varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds to consider UMass Medical School as their employer of choice.
- Collect, wash, and autoclave glassware, pipets, and miscellaneous laboratory supplies and return them to the appropriate laboratories
- Prepare and label buffers, media, solutions, and reagents and other solutions for use in the laboratories
- Maintain general lab cleanliness and perform operator level maintenance on laboratory equipment
- Perform duties according to written protocols and established procedures. Report problems to the supervisor
- Order general laboratory supplies and maintain inventory
- Perform basic library reference searches
- Ensure timely and accurate input and maintenance of all data elements into the department, UMass Medical School accounting system, and/or other assigned databases
- Perform a variety of related clerical support duties
- Comply with all safety and infection control standards appropriate to this position
- Perform other job related duties as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent experience
- 2 years of related experience
- Demonstrated ability to enter data into computer programs
Under the direct supervision of the Department Administrator or designee
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Wet chemistry laboratory, and may require appropriate contact with biohazards, radionuclides, toxins, animals, and human specimens.