Department Chair- Marriage and Family Therapy
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Office Building/Campus: Los Angeles- Downtown
Home Department: Marriage Family Therapy
Position Type: Faculty Position
Employment duration: Full time
Founded in 1979, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology is an independent, regionally accredited not-for profit professional graduate school with a dynamic student body and a professionally accomplished faculty. Our curriculum and training opportunities prepare graduates to deliver outstanding professional services emphasizing the ability to understand and work with diverse populations.
The marital and family therapy department consists of two programs: a M.A. in Clinical Psychology with a specialization in Marital and Family Therapy (offered at all three Southern California campuses – Los Angeles, Irvine, and Westwood), and a PsyD in Marital and Family Therapy (offered at the Irvine and Westwood campuses). Both programs are endorsed by the Board of Behavioral Sciences and plans exist to explore AAMFT accreditation.
The Department Chair is appointed by and is directly responsible to the Academic Dean. The position is a member of the faculty as an Administrative Department Chair. Responsibilities include making recommendations to the Academic Dean for recruitment, hiring, evaluation, and promotion of faculty, as well as department development. The Chair is responsible for providing visionary leadership for the academic direction of the department. Duties include curriculum quality and development, scheduling, preparation for programmatic accreditation, assessment of student learning and program improvement, supervision of faculty and other department administrators. All faculty members report to the chair of their departments regarding the execution of faculty responsibilities. The department chair is responsible for monitoring, evaluating, and improving the performance of all faculty members.
Department Chairs are required to attend Academic Affairs Department Chair meetings, lead department faculty meetings, participate in institutional committees, provide academic leadership, and perform duties as assigned by the Academic Dean. As administrative faculty, they are members of the Faculty Council and the Council of Academic Affairs.
Additional Duties Include:
- Supervision and development of Program, Affiliate, and Adjunct Faculty to meet quality standards and goals as well as institutional priorities
- Oversight and coordination of Student Affairs within the program.
- Development of viable new programs in the field.
- Participation in research and writing and ultimate responsibility for any necessary self-study or program-related reports.
- Development of strategic academic and budget plans for Department, including recommendations from the assessment and program review process.
- Achievement of departmental academic and financial goals.
- Outreach and recruitment of faculty and support of student recruitment.
- Coordination or management of student training.
- Supervision of the department manager to achieve department operational goals.
- Supervision of the teaching, advisement, dissertation activities, and other duties performed by Faculty members to meet department academic goals.
- A doctoral degree in the relevant discipline with appropriate license or license eligible is required.
- Teaching and academic administration at the post-secondary level as well as professional experience is required.
- The Department Chair must be an optimistic, action oriented leader who can motivate faculty to embrace these values in the classroom and within the institution.
- Must have a strong interest in the development of leaders, as this job requires the development of future leaders in the field through curriculum.
- Must have an interest in demonstration based teaching (faculty need to teach using real/live demonstration).
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage operational processes including the program budget.
- Solid people development skills with a focus on providing opportunities for faculty and staff to excel.
- This is an environment that expects high productivity and quick response time, as well as the ability to minimize operational tasks and maximize creativity and innovation. The Department Chair must be able to balance institutional priorities with program needs and initiatives.
Applicants should submit a CV, 3 references, and a letter of interest.
For more information about The Chicago School of Professional Psychology visit www.thechicagoschool.edu
The Chicago School of Professional Psychology is an affiliate of TCS Education System. For more information about TCS Education System visit www.tcsedsystem.org
TCS Education System offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of education. Some of our key benefits include: paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), professional development, and regular employee appreciation events.
TCS Education System is an Equal Opportunity Employer.