Job ID 2014-53313
# Positions 2
Posted Date 3/6/2014
Division Ross University
Ross University School of Medicine, located on the beautiful Caribbean island of Dominica in the West Indies, invites applications for a faculty post at the Assistant or Associate Professor rank in Anatomy. Our mission is to prepare highly dedicated students to become effective, successful physicians in the United States. Basic science coursework is taught in Dominica and students then complete their clinical studies in the United States. After passing all prerequisite examinations, Ross graduates are licensed to practice medicine in all 50 states of the U.S. Ross University School of Medicine is a division of DeVry Education Group (NYSE:DV)
Education is the primary focus of the faculty. The academic year is divided into three semesters with a new class of students admitted each semester. Lectures and other educational responsibilities continue throughout the year. Effective teachers are sought, particularly individuals who are interested in improving medical education and who work well on a team. Research opportunities exist, primarily in the area of medical education.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- The preparation of course material (lectures, practice questions, etc.)
- The delivery of effective lectures
- Participate in gross anatomy laboratory, as applicable – usually 8-12 hours per week.
- The preparation, setting, administration, marking and reporting of examinations – both mini examinations and practical examinations, as applicable
- Supervise educational activities of students under actual or simulated situations
- Prepare instructional plans and career analyses to reflect current changes in the field
- Advise individuals or groups of students in academic matters and exercise professional judgment in referring students to appropriate personnel
- Develop new instructional materials and teaching techniques with participation in on-going reviews and revision of curriculum planning
- Actively participate in relevant professional activities in order to improve teaching and subject matter competence
- Serve on faculty committees as appointed or elected, and confer with advisory groups in order to modify course content
- Participate in other activities as assigned by the Department Chair or Executive Dean
- Extensive knowledge of gross anatomy
- Prior experience with cadaveric anatomy laboratory instruction
- Ability to relate anatomical concepts to clinical scenarios
- Excellent written and communication skills in English
- Documented record of teaching effectiveness, strong teaching skills and experience
- Experience in computer-assisted delivery of course content
- Interest in medical education
- Desire for self improvement
- Flexibility and ability to work well on a team
Education, Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- Ph.D. in Anatomy or equivalent or M.D./Ph.D.
- Enthusiastic teacher with previous teaching experience at a North American or United Kingdom medical school
Ross University School of Medicine offers a competitive potentially tax-free annual salary, relocation assistance to and from the island, a retirement program, tuition assistance benefit, medical/dental/ vision benefits for employees and dependents, a living allowance, paid days of leave (including vacation, holidays, professional development and sick/personal days).
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing. Thank you for applying for this outstanding opportunity today.