Vice President for Online Programs
Vice President for Online Programs
NU Global Network
Northeastern is the first university to create an online education model that is powered by experiential learning. Leading a team of 30 professionals, the Vice President for Online Programs will advance the educational mission of Northeastern by providing robust, experiential, and student-centered online/hybrid courses and programs that will embody our high quality and student success standards. The vice president will provide vision, planning, development, oversight, and delivery of the University’s online and hybrid programs. In addition, the individual will work collaboratively with academic leadership and faculty to ensure an innovative, scalable approach—based in learning science—that meets high-quality standards for learner- centered course development and delivery in the online teaching/learning environment. This position also collaborates on the development and refinement of e-student services for Northeastern University.
The vice president assures the incorporation of core institutional attributes within all aspects of the online learning environment—specifically experiential learning and learner-centric design.
Reporting to Senior Vice President Philly Mantella and Vice President for Professional Education John LaBrie, and working collaboratively with other members of the university’s leadership, the vice president for online programs will assume broad leadership within Northeastern, providing the vision, strategy, technical and operational direction to enhance the university’s online strategy. He or she will oversee an energetic, visible, and results-oriented effort that’s influence will be felt across the university community.
Reporting directly to the new vice president for online programs will be the two executive directors and an overall staff complement of 30 professionals. This team includes program directors in assessment, instructional design, and media content development. The vice president joins an executive team of senior reports representing the university’s global network and the CEOs of our regional campuses.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Leads the vision, research, development, and execution of emerging and innovative methods for course delivery and instructional technology to position Northeastern as a national leader for innovative online experiential education. Develops and implements short- and long-range strategic plans to support and advance online and hybrid learning for NU’s various schools and colleges.
• Collaborate with other colleagues on strategy and execution to enhance e-student services benefiting online, campus-based, and regional campus students.
• Advises and works collaboratively with faculty, academic deans, and the Northeastern Global Network team to plan, develop, and coordinate courses and programs employing various distance learning delivery strategies.
• Provide leadership and guidance on the field’s best practices and business trends; evaluates and assesses quality of delivery of online offerings
• Identifies opportunities to expand and explore new e-learning solutions and services to increase student engagement, develop/support e-student services, and enhance student learning and community experiences.
• Recommends new technologies and lead implementations that relate to digital learning
• Initiates contracts, negotiates partnerships and develops agreements to enhance distance learning offerings.
• Collaborate and manage relationships with Information Technology Services
• Provides oversight for the planning, implementation and maintenance of e-learning technologies including oversight of the Northeastern University Blackboard learning management system and other e-technologies employed to enhance the student learning experience.
• Lead a team that will bring together faculty, instructional design and online learning into a coordinated approach to design and deployment of content
• Manage a team of professionals providing strategic and operational oversight to ensure success in meeting institutional and divisional goals. Manage the team by setting high performance standards reflective of institutional and unit values. Regularly evaluate staff and provide mentoring and coaching to ensure professional growth and development of staff as well as the highest level of service to internal and external clients.
OPPORTUNITIES AND EXPECTATIONS FOR LEADERSHIP
Northeastern’s vice president for online programs will be asked to build on the university’s past successes and optimize its future. The candidate will be expected to provide leadership in e-learning, and online offerings, and foster a climate in which innovation can flourish. He or she must demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to both the greater Northeastern community and values and the role of the division within that community. The vice president’s most immediate agenda will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Build momentum for the online development of new and emerging graduate professional credentials;
• Work strategically with diverse academic units across the university as they develop College-level strategy plans for online and hybrid program development;
• Inform and collaborate with various institutional work groups on issues ranging from new venture creation to market expansion efforts;
• Represent Northeastern’s interests nationally in regards to online and hybrid strategy.
The vice president for online will be a consummate professional who embraces a team environment and works with colleagues in a spirit of partnership, transparency, and fiscal responsibility.
Candidate should have a minimum of ten years of progressively more responsible management experience, demonstrated leadership experience in online learning, and a proven understanding of the dynamics of a complex and culturally diverse university. Master’s degree is required, Doctorate preferred. Candidate should possess strong managerial experience and demonstrated effectiveness in working collaboratively with faculty and content experts in online learning; experience and knowledge of online, hybrid learning and teaching policies and best practices; and demonstrated proficiency with online vendors and providers. The position requires demonstrated capacity to lead and supervise a large and diverse portfolio of human and fiscal resources; a proven commitment to the value of diversity and the mission of a national urban research university; and the ability to manage change in a complex educational institution.
Candidate will have a track record of successful leadership and demonstrated accomplishment developing and attaining strategic goals and objectives. S/he should possess the following professional and personal qualities and characteristics:
• Commitment to fulfilling the mission of Northeastern University;
• Proven effectiveness in online strategy: a documented record of success, enrollment goals, yield and genuine enjoyment in leading the online function that supports an institution’s mission, goals and objectives;
• An ability to manage both big picture and operational details: evidence of ability to focus and lead an organization to achieve the elements of a strategic plan and to continuously refine the organizational plan, structure and operations as it evolves;
• The capacity to understand the complex issues facing higher education and the ability to develop strategies that support the institution’s academic and student-centered agendas;
• An open and collaborative leadership style that promotes partnerships and builds trust and strong relationships across constituencies; an appreciation for the central role of deans and faculty at the university, with the ability to mobilize their participation;
• Experience in—or a demonstrated commitment to working with—diverse student populations and/or in a culturally diverse work and educational environment;
• A strong record as a self-starter with high standards for personal and professional excellence, achievement, honesty, and integrity;
• The ability to lead change, engaging and influencing all constituents and levels of the organization in the implementation of new strategies and methodologies;
• The ability to build relationships, to work through issues in a calm and professional manner, and to share and communicate in an open and honest fashion;
• The ability to lead and the talent to delegate responsibility; and
• A sense of humor.
This position requires a criminal background check.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: Careers@Northeastern
Northeastern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Educational Institution and Employer, Title IX University. Northeastern University particularly welcomes applications from minorities, women and persons with disabilities. Northeastern University is an E-Verify Employer.