Assistant Director, YSM Corporate and Foundation
STARS Requisition Number 24599BR
Department YSM Development
University Job Title Development Officer - Corporate & Foundation Relations
Posting Position Title Assistant Director, YSM Corporate and Foundation
Bargaining Unit None
Job Category Managerial & Professional
Type of Employment Full Time
Duration Type Regular
Salary Grade Ungraded
Work Location Central Campus
Worksite Address 157 Church
Work Week Standard (M-F equal number of hours per day)
Position Focus: As a member of the Corporate and Foundation Relations team, the Assistant Director is responsible primarily for developing and managing a portfolio of current and new prospects with interests in medicine and biomedical research, with special emphasis that includes, but is not limited to, support of Yale School of Medicine priorities. Working within a team of frontline directors dedicated to raising corporate and foundation support for the Yale School Medicine, the Assistant Director's responsibilities include coordinating the identification, strategic cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, and other activities related to seeking corporate and foundation investment in the Yale School of Medicine.
Principal Responsibilities 1. Develops cultivation and solicitation strategies for new and previously identified corporate and foundation prospects.
2. Build productive relationships with faculty and other University staff to successfully identify opportunities for corporate and foundation philanthropic support for institutional priorities.
3. Identifies, cultivates, and maintains long-term relationships with local and national corporations and foundations.
4. Plans and implements all development activities concerning identified prospects. Ensures effective and efficient use of administrator and faculty time.
5. Establishes working relationships with development colleagues and other University offices. Understands the roles and responsibilities of their offices and coordinates the activities of the different offices to facilitate the establishment of relationships with corporations and foundations.
6. Prepares documents such as budgets, scientific work plans, research proposals and term sheets, ensuring that the documents align with the policies and procedures set by the University.
7. Participates in the identification of funding opportunities provided by private foundations to bring key, high priority initiatives to the attention of administrators and other leaders.
8. Travels to meet prospects for the purpose of effective, coordinated and efficient cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
9. Monitors and evaluates progress toward goals, provides statistical reports, on an ongoing basis and as requested, and suggests appropriate research for individuals and groups, corporations and foundation prospects. Prepares acknowledgments for all gifts received.
10. May perform other duties as assigned.Required Education and Experience Bachelor's Degree in a related field and two years of experience in fundraising or a related field, preferably in higher education or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1: Demonstrated understanding of and passion for medicine and biomedical science. Well developed written and oral communication skills and the proven ability to translate complex scientific information into laymen's terms.
Required Skill/Ability 2: Excellent interpersonal skills required to relate to donor prospects, volunteers and colleagues.
Required Skill/Ability 3: Negotiating, organizational, analytical and fundraising skills.
Required Skill/Ability 4: Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision, a self-starter. Proven ability to motivate and work with diverse constituencies.
Required Skill/Ability 5: Proven ability and comfort working in complex organizations.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: Advanced degree. Academic work in a scientific/engineering field. Knowledge of University's organization and its academic and administrative policies and procedures.
Weekend Hours Required? Occasional
Evening Hours Required? Occasional
Drug Screen No
Health Screening No
Background Check Requirements All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Posting Disclaimer The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.