Excelsior College, a regionally accredited, private, nonprofit institution and recognized leader in the field of alternative higher education, seeks applicants for the position of Instructional Designer.
The Instructional Designer will work in a collaborative team to design distance learning courses that are under revision or newly developed for online or CD-ROM delivery. In partnership with College faculty and staff, the Instructional Designer will use learning methodologies appropriate to adult learner needs, select learning-oriented technologies and media, and facilitate the course development and revision process. Additional responsibilities include conducting faculty-developer orientations and leading or collaborating on special projects and initiatives that require learning design expertise.
- Provide advice and expertise in the development and revision of distance learning courses and in the planning and implementation of special projects;
- Facilitate the process of developing and revising courses by maintaining close coordination among instructional development specialists (course builders), instructional technologists, academic stakeholders, and information technology staff;
- Demonstrate and promote the alignment of learning outcomes with learning activities and assessments/feedback that meet learners’ needs;
- Recommend active learning strategies for adult learners which address diverse learning styles, abilities and backgrounds;
- Select and use a variety of techniques to define and sequence the instructional activities and strategies;
- Apply current research and theory to the practice of instructional design;
- Update and improve one’s knowledge, skills and attitudes pertaining to instructional design and related fields;
- Evaluate and ensure the quality, accuracy, and effectiveness of each course within the context of Quality Matters and College policies;
- Work with units to locate, select, or develop technologies and media that enrich the learning experiences of adult learners;
- Develop, implement, and evaluate training materials for faculty and staff use;
- Recommend policies and procedures that improve the course development and revision process and promote collaboration, partnerships and relationships among departments;
- Identify and help resolve ethical and legal implications of instructional design;
- Attend and present at professional conferences as required.
A Master's degree in Instructional Design, Educational Technology or a related field is required. At least 3 years experience in distance learning at the college/university level is also required. College teaching experience is strongly preferred. Demonstrated knowledge and application of learning theories and instructional design in an on-line environment.
The candidate must have ability to work independently as well as in a team environment and possess project management skills, including the ability to juggle multiple tasks and meet deadlines. Prior experience with course management systems (specifically Blackboard) and a variety of presentation and authoring software, including Adobe Presenter, Captivate, Dreamweaver, Flash Builder, Adobe Suite, Articulate Engage, Acrobat Connect Pro, and Photoshop needed. Excellent oral, aural, visual, and written communication skills also required. Familiarity with emerging technologies and their use in an instructional environment is essential. Experience supporting faculty instructional excellence (teaching institutes, training, consulting, workshops, online resources, etc.). Demonstrated understanding of backward and integrated course design as they relate to the Quality Matters rubric.
Excelsior College offers competitive salaries in addition to a generous benefit package that includes paid time off, retirement and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references either to: http://www.excelsior.edu/ecresumesubmission or mail to:
Human Resources Office
Instructional Designer Search
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, NY 12203-5159