Military Academic Advisor
Excelsior College, is a regionally accredited, private, nonprofit institution of higher learning, seeks applicants for the position of Military Academic Advisor.
The main function of this position is the advisement of students and evaluation of documents for military service members, veterans, and military education counselors (for enrolled and prospective students) by mail, phone, E-mail, fax, and personal interview regarding the College's flexible educational opportunities. The military academic advisor evaluates transfer credit from military documents and government-related organizations for credit toward Excelsior College degree requirements. The military academic advisor will be proficient and possess knowledge expected of an enrolled academic advisor in multiple degree programs spanning different divisions (e.g. business, health sciences, liberal arts, nursing, and technology). In addition, the military academic advisor will take a proactive approach in the recruitment plan of the military education office, by building relationships with military education counselors and military students and provide information and encouragement to individuals involved in the college enrollment and course decision-making process. The position requires a commitment to providing quality service by assimilating a large body of factual information and relating it to students in a caring, efficient and consistent manner.
This is a student services position where the emphasis will be placed upon providing accurate, timely, and quality service to enrolled and prospective students, as well as Military Education Counselors, at a distance. The military academic advisor will be well versed in all college options, learning opportunities and services, and will be able to direct inquiries for the most appropriate service.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
A. Advisement by phone, letter, E-mail, fax and personal interview:
- Advise students in their consideration of educational goals
- Advise military prospective students and military education counselors on the benefits of enrollment in Excelsior College and assist students in the decision-making process regarding their educational goals and the military promotion system
- Provide accurate information about military and institutional policies, procedures, resources and programs
- Apprise students of various sources of credit and advise them in making appropriate selections
- Recommend Excelsior College courses and examinations to students to complete degree requirements
- Advocate for students by making referrals to Excelsior College services (e.g., career services, VA/financial aid), and other educational support services (e.g., foreign credential evaluation service, military education network, public library) and providing supportive documentation as appropriate (e.g., letters of recommendation, transient student letters, letters of good standing)
- Provide efficient and consistent tracking of student service/advisement by maximizing the use of computer system (i.e., Lotus Notes, SIS, Web Technology)
- Evaluate military documents and forward the file to the appropriate academic advisor for the official degree evaluation for enrolled students within prescribed turnaround time
- Utilize SIS Course Library and the online ACE Guide in the evaluation of military experience.
- Research credit sources using both internal and external resources
- Evaluate credit and classify course content according to current College policies and degree requirements
- Communicate with students within prescribed turnaround time about the evaluation of credits presented
- Serve as advocate for military education counselors and military service members
C. Organizational participation:
- Work collaboratively with academic advisors from other degree programs and admissions counselors to resolve military related curricular issues
- Work independently and interact effectively and cooperatively with team members and other college staff
- Participate in professional development and training activities and may attend military conferences
- Actively participate in the training of new advising staff
- Assist in the preparation/development of military advisement and other college materials
- Serve cooperatively on college committees
- Work toward unit and college strategic planning goals and military enrollment goals
The Advisor works in a team relationship with other advisors to assure quality.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work with diverse populations
- Excellent organizational and decision making skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet academic deadlines
- Ability to review/prepare accurate detailed documents
- Ability to master a wide body of factual knowledge (e.g., academic and career options) with a high degree of accuracy and detail
- Proficient computer literacy and willingness to learn new applications
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Masters degree is required. Previous experience in military education and/or higher education is preferred.
The College offers competitive compensation and a generous fringe benefit package. Interested individuals should submit a letter of application, resume, and salary history. For consideration, please submit requested information to: http://www.excelsior.edu/ecresumesubmission; or mail to:
Military Academic Advisor Search
Office of Human Resources
7 Columbia Circle, Albany, New York 12203-5159