Location: Los Angeles, CA
Office Building/Campus: Los Angeles- Downtown
Home Department: Clinical Psychology
Position Type: Faculty Position
Founded in 1979, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology is an independent professional graduate school with a dynamic student body and a professionally accomplished faculty. Our curriculum and training opportunities prepare graduates to deliver outstanding professional services emphasizing the ability to understand and work with diverse populations.
Our Downtown Los Angeles campus will have two openings for Department Faculty in the Clinical PsyD program in January 2014. One is at Full Professor rank and the other is open and dependent on experience). One position will be awarded to a candidate who has expertise in Humanistic-Existential theory and practice. Over the course of the three-semester academic year, Clinical Psy.D. faculty members may be responsible for teaching, student advisement, chairing dissertations, research/scholarship, professional service to the School and community, and administration. While faculty members are fundamentally responsible for teaching in accordance with TCS's workload policy, adjustments to an individual's teaching load may be made by the Department Chair based on Department needs first and individual talents and abilities second. Department Faculty members are recommended to the Vice President of Academic Affairs for hire by the Department Chair.
- Teach over the course of three semesters (at least 18 units)
- Hold office hours on a weekly basis
- Remain current in field of study/teaching expertise and update course content to reflect knowledge updates
- Prepare course syllabus and plans in accord with Department requirements
- Select textbooks and teaching aids as required
- Classroom instruction including lectures, demonstrations, discussions, or other appropriate modes of education delivery in a higher education setting
- Develop, and regularly update, a system for ongoing evaluation of teaching and student learning
- One of the positions will require teaching in Humanistic-Existential Psychology
- One of the positions will require teaching in, and supervising doctoral research using qualitative research methods
- Additional teaching experience in the following areas preferred:
- Professional Ethics & the Law
- Psychodynamic/Psychoanalytic Psychology
- Maintain an advisee load according to Department needs
- Spend time with advisees to provide mentorship on matters related to their academic, curricular, and career development
- Mentor advisees in preparing their vita and training application materials, as well as write recommendation letters
- Assist the Department Chair in documenting student progress through the program; when necessary, this includes crafting individual Academic Development Plans for Advisees, tracking their compliance, and documenting their progress
- Present progress of advisees to Faculty at semester Student Review meetings, meet with advisees to gather additional information or communicate Faculty concerns, and report back to Faculty on the results
- Scholarship may include qualitative/quantitative research, presentations at professional conferences, scholarship-based community service, etc.
- Professional Service
- Maintain scholarly activities that further the practice of professional psychology
- Foster education of, and interest in, student service in the community
- Engage in community service
- Participate in Departmental functions, including but not limited to participating in the analysis of student progress, assisting in general faculty searches, and admissions activities, contributing to general and specific curriculum development activities, mentoring of new faculty members, and other related duties as assigned
- Attendance at faculty meetings and participation in the Faculty Assembly is an expectation.
- Service on committee(s) as agreed upon with Department Chair, including Departmental and Institutional Committees.
- Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology or Psy.D. required
- Licensed or license-eligible in California (license must be obtained within two years of hire)
- Teaching experience of at least 5 years preferred.
- Record of scholarship and community service preferred
- Ability to behave in a collegial and professional manner with all members of TCS community.
- Ability to adhere to the highest professional conduct and ethical standards of the professional of psychology.
- Ability to engage in his/her responsibilities with the promotion of TCS mission and reputation in mind at all times.
- Expertise (publications, training, experience) in humanistic-existential psychology required for one of the positions
- Expertise and experience in qualitative research methods
For more information about The Chicago School of Professional Psychology visit www.thechicagoschool.edu
The Chicago School of Professional Psychology is an affiliate of TCS Education System. For more information about TCS Education System visit www.tcsedsystem.org
TCS Education System offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of education. Some of our key benefits include: paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), professional development, and regular employee appreciation events.
TCS Education System is an Equal Opportunity Employer.