Assistant Dean for Outreach and Engagement
Appointment Type: Administrative/Professional Faculty
Department: College of Ag Admin 210600 AGA
Position Summary: The College of Agricultural Sciences invites applications for a full-time (1.0 FTE), 12-month, fixed-term Assistant Dean for Extension and Outreach position. Reappointment is at the discretion of the Dean.
The appointment includes indefinite tenure on a 9-month basis at 1.00 FTE for rank of Professor or Associate Professor within the appropriate College of Agricultural Sciences (CAS) unit.
The Assistant Dean position will provide vision and leadership for the CAS' outreach and engagement mission as an integral member of the College's administrative team. This position will identify needs and provide coordinating leadership for shaping program responses that are innovative, integrated and multidisciplinary especially in multi-state, multi-county and multi-disciplinary settings. The Assistant Dean position will work with department heads, Extension regional administrators, CAS deans, Division of Outreach and Engagement, and Extension administration in leadership and management of outreach and engagement activities. The Assistant Dean will also assist with the leadership and management of the College of Agricultural Sciences in its other mission areas.
The Assistant Dean position will be responsible for program direction, personnel, budget, and other management issues of the Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources Extension Program. The position will provide program-wide leadership for county and specialist staff to insure compliance with appropriate civil rights and affirmative action plans and practices. This position will ensure that all people have equal employment opportunities and equal program participation opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, disability and disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran status--as required by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
Position Duties: 90% Extension, Outreach, Engagement and Other Assignments
Responsibility shared with a broad group of College of Agricultural Sciences, Extension, and Outreach and Engagement administrators:
- Engage in creative leadership for Extension programming in the 21st century;
- Lead and assist in development of vision, direction, and priorities for CAS' outreach and engagement program;
- Seek financial and other resources to strengthen the program;
- Assist with the overall program, staffing and other organizational issues;
- Assist with priority staffing as it relates to the Outreach and Engagement Program;
- Maintain positive external relationships and marketing for Extension and the Outreach and Engagement program area.
Primary responsibility of Assistant Dean for Outreach and Engagement:
- Provide overall leadership for planning, coordination, and strategies for the future of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources Extension Program;
- Provide oversight of personnel actions;
- Provide leadership for Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources Extension Program budget preparation, allocation, and monitoring;
- Be informed about programs, events, issues, and opportunities in the Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources Extension Program;
- Promote the use of Extension Working Groups for program delivery and integrated functioning;
- Provide leadership for program evaluation and accountability to Extension Director for state and federal resources allocated to the Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources Program area;
- Serve and actively participate on the Extension Director's Cabinet;
- Represent the Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources Extension Program in policy development for the Extension Service;
- Assist department heads in understanding performance and promotion and tenure expectations for Extension faculty, participating in those reviews as appropriate;
- Coordinate and communicate with CAS deans, department heads, regional administrators and represent them as needed on Extension issues, programming, and priority setting.
- Work with CAS unit leaders, Extension administration, and CAS deans in administration of salary increases for faculty;
- Work with unit leaders and Extension administration in setting salary levels for new hire offers;
- Maintain flexibility to address emerging issues as needed or requested by the CAS Deans.
Other Responsibilities in College of Agricultural Sciences Administration and the Agricultural Experiment Station (includes all mission areas):
- Provide input to Dean regarding Extension faculty promotion and tenure reviews;
- Meet and participate in special assignments from meetings with the CAS Dean's Group and the CAS Administrator's Group;
- Review and approve proposals routed through CAS on behalf of the Dean;
- Participate in CAS Priority Staffing decision making
- Assist in promoting and providing accountability for integrated programs.
- Extension working groups;
- Division of Outreach and Engagement;
- Partner organizations: e.g. Natural Resource Conservation Service, State Technical Committee; Soil and Water; Conservation Districts, Farm Service Agency, etc.;
- Others as assigned.
Position Duties (continued): 10% Service
Provide service to the College and University through committee service and leadership as appropriate and requested by Extension, College and University Administration.
Serve on state, regional and national advisory committees appropriate to position responsibilities and to participate in professional organization activities.
Working Conditions/Work Schedule: This position requires frequent travel by car across the state of Oregon to visit Extension Faculty and stakeholders often requiring overnight stay. Other official business travel as appropriate.
Minimum/Required Qualifications: Master's or terminal degree and a meritorious record of accomplishment in teaching, research, and extension. Degree must be a discipline within the College of Agricultural Sciences.
Must qualify for the rank of associate professor or professor with tenure in an appropriate academic unit at Oregon State University.
Experience in Extension Service and Outreach.
Demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity.
Demonstrated ability to work collegially and collaboratively with others.
Demonstrated success in external grantsmanship.
This position is designated as a critical or security-sensitive position; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a Criminal History Check and be determined to be position qualified as per OAR 576-055-0000 et seq. Incumbents are required to self-report convictions and those in Youth Programs may have additional Criminal History Checks every 24 months.
This position requires driving a University vehicle or a personal vehicle on behalf of the University; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a Motor Vehicle History Check, possess and maintain a current, valid driver's license in their state of residence, be determined to be position qualified and self-report convictions (as per Voluntary and Compulsory Driver Standards OAR 125-155-0200) as per OAR 576-056-0000 et seq. .
Preferred (Special) Qualifications: Evidence of administrative and managerial success.
Ability to deliver engaging presentations.
Demonstrated broad understanding of the College's mission areas (agriculture, food systems, natural resources, and the environment) and related areas of science, and an experience-based appreciation for their relevance, importance, and application in real-world settings.
Experience in learning outcomes assessment and program evaluation.
Scholarly Outcomes for Position (academic faculty only): (15% of the assigned duties): Develop new methods and integrate knowledge leading to practical applications for efficient long-range planning, implementation, and management of statewide programs relative to Extension, Outreach and Engagement. Communicate these tools to peer administrators at OSU and to professional organizations through workshops, seminars, and publications.
Posting Date: 05-09-2014
For Full Consideration Date:
Closing Date: 06-16-2014
Recommended Full-Time Salary Range: Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
Posting Number: 0012384
Quicklink for Posting: jobs.oregonstate.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=64044PI77409454