Coding Specialist II
To review documentation in the entire medical record to assign the appropriate ICD-9-CM and HCPCS/CPT-4 codes that will result in complete, accurate, and consistent reimbursement for services provided in accordance with federal, state, and private documentation guidelines. To serve as a resource to coding and other hospital staff relative to coding and documentation requirements.
Key Functions and Expected Performances:
- Maintains coding proficiencies
- Actively pursues 22 non-qualified continuing education credits designated by the VMG Coding Department.
- Actively pursues continuing education credits designated by the professional association; CCS, CCS-P, CCS-H, 10 biannually; CPC, CPC-H, 18 annually; RHIT, 20 biannually; RHIA, 30 biannually.
- Reviews revisions to rules and regulations which govern coding; distributes new to management and coding staff.
- Utilizes appropriate coding guidelines and references on a continuing basis
- Demonstrates the ability to read and comprehend medical record documentations
- Assigns ICD-9-CM and HCPCS/CPT-4 codes accurately
- Demonstrates an advanced knowledge of ICD-9 and HCPCS/CPT; assigns ICD-9 and HCPCS/CPT codes and modifiers at an accuracy rate as determined by the specific department.
- Demonstrates extensive knowledge of medical terminology, human anatomy and physiology to interpret general medical classifications and adheres to Compliance Rules and Regulations
- Reviews physician and other clinical documentation to ensure that assigned codes are supported; recognizes when vital information is missing and works with the physician to obtain the documentation
- Proficient in multi-specialty coding and will provide coverage in assigned department as a floater.
- Maintains productivity standards set by the management team.
- Organizes and prioritizes work appropriately
- Demonstrates flexibility by adjusting to unexpected situations/requirements
- Consults with manager regarding workload management, as necessary
- Uses new methodologies for improving efficiency
- Demonstrates extensive knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, database and Internet skills
- Serves as a Resource for Coding Issues
- Uses outside and inside resources to the extent necessary; seeks advice/approval when appropriate
- Takes initiative in identifying/researching coding/reimbursement issues; notifies/involves appropriate parties, including designated manager
- Encourages participation of others to solve problems when appropriate; develops effective solutions; involves management as needed
- Serves as an in-house consultant to physicians and house staff on all aspects of coding/reimbursement
- Acts as a resource for Coding Apprentice, Coding Analyst & Coding Specialist I requirements
- Provides physician education regarding coding and documentation guidelines for federal, state, and private reimbursement agencies
- Serves as a resource to other hospital staff members on coding and documentation guidelines
- Demonstrates advanced written and verbal communication skills
- Responds courteously and promptly to all customers; strives to maintain the highest level of customer service; maintains a good attitude, considerate of co-workers, and is a team player
- . Maintains strict patient confidentiality
- Participates in projects as assigned
- Maintains attendance and punctuality consistently; follows correct procedure for notification of absences and requests for leave
- Uses work time appropriately for work activities; attends meetings promptly
- Demonstrates a willingness and flexibility in scheduling and accepting work assignments to meet the needs of the department
- Completes projects as assigned in that time frame
- Works with the Coding Supervisor in developing the scope of the project and action steps for completing the project
- Completes assignments in required timeframe and updates Coding Supervisor of status
Job requires Graduate of an accredited discipline specific program and 5 years of experience or the equivalent.
Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration (LCR):
Records Health Info Admin, Records Health Info Tech, Certified Procedural Coder, Certified Coding Specialist
Job Medical Coding and Billing
Primary Location TN-Nashville-Vanderbilt Hospital (VUH)
Organization Medical Information Services 201335PI77407621