OR Scheduling Coordinator,GI Endoscopy Lab (FT, DAYS) (40 hours per week)
Coordinate with patients, physicians and operating room to schedule surgeries. Facilitates efficient workflow, supports appropriate use of technology, and fosters effective communication in order to support institutional mission and credo.
Key Functions and Expected Performances:
- Coordinate surgery schedule with patient, physician and operating room.
- Consult with patient presenting time and day availability and coordinate time with physician and operating rooms.
- Give patient detailed information regarding dates, time scheduled and necessary instructions, as directed by physicians
- Maintains operating room schedule.
- Supervise, coordinate, and schedule data collection and processing activities.
- Coordinate data processing activities between department or other locations and VPIMS to ensure timely, complete and accurate input of data.
- Coordinate changes/corrections to schedule; verify for accuracy; coordinate acquisition of data from different sources so case can be cross-checked.
- Work with other departments to obtain and provide necessary information, to locate, modify, and to effectively resolve problems.
- Coordinate documentation of all ORMIS and VPIMS entry procedures to support consistency in data collection.
- Collect, code, and process data for computer input; may abstract information from available records; input/retrieve data on computer terminals.
- Communication: Provides excellent customer service as evidenced by clear, direct and courteous interactions in a timely fashion
- Supports customers as evidenced by providing clear, current information to families, visitors, and staff; and by seeking assistance from clinical staff, security, and others as needed. Measured by management and peer observation
- Responds to telephone calls promptly and politely. Expedites response to surgeons and other calls as needed. Measured by management and peer observation.
- Fosters effective communication between departments, shift, and various customers to support patient care mission of the unit. Measured by management and peer observation
- Responds appropriately during emergency situations and provides support during codes as directed. Measured by management and peer observation.
- Processes case scheduling according to guidelines. Follows computer downtime procedures. Measured by management and peer audits of VPIMS.
- Safeguards patient privacy and confidentiality when performing job responsibilities that require accessing and using patient information. Measured by management and peer observation.
- Technology: Utilizes all available equipment and resources in a manner that results in smooth, continuous workflow.
- Uses telephone, beeper/paging system, computers, and blood call light to facilitate flow of communication and supplies to and from the unit. Measured by management and peer observation
- Learns and applies new technical skills and systems as technology changes, works with team to identify and address learning needs surrounding computer and technical systems. Measured by management and peer observation
- Enters and updates information in computer systems to assure current information. Retrieves data accurately. Measured by management and peer observation.
- Maintains equipment in operational status by trouble shooting and contacting appropriate department for repairs and maintenance. Measured by management and peer observation (and from Plant Ops Logs maintained in some areas).
- Facilitation/Coordination: Demonstrates collaborative approach in the workplace and coordination if work area activities that facilitates excellence in customer service.
- Works with team to identify & implement ideas to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of cases and electronic systems that support quality patient care. Measured by management and peer observation.
- Maintains call-in lists, phone directory according to guidelines. Measured by management audit
- Perform clerical duties to support the surgery scheduling function.
- Provide support and necessary information to physicians regarding scheduling and patient information.
- Receive and screen calls relating to problems that may arise due to date changes and any reasons for cancellation.
- Contact appropriate sources for emergency surgeries in a timely and efficient manner.
Preferred Education, Skills, and Experiences:
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Medical office terminology
- Familiar with StarPanel and EPIC
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and in a fast-paced office
- Great attendance and punctuality
This is a full-time, non-exempt position.
Hourly rate is dependent upon education and experience.
Background screens will be performed and education will be verified prior to employment. Please be prepared to provide required information and/or documentation.
Vanderbilt is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer
This position requires a High school graduate or GED and 3 years of experience or the equivalent.
Job Clinical Support
Primary Location TN-Nashville-The Vanderbilt Clinic (TVC)
Organization GI Endoscopy Lab 201177PI77407622