Medical Receptionist- Cardiovascular Surgical Stepdown (6 South)- FT Varies
Supports delivery of patient care by providing clerical and receptionist services to patients, families, visitors, staff, physicians, departments that support patient care, and all other customers of a Patient Care Unit. Facilitates efficient workflow, supports appropriate use of technology, and fosters effective communication in order to support institutional mission and credo.
Key Functions and Expected Performances:
- Communication: Provides excellent customer service as evidenced by clear, direct and courteous interactions in a timely fashion
- Supports customers as evidenced by providing clear, current information to families, visitors, and staff; by distributing visitor passes; and by seeking assistance from clinical staff, security, and others as needed. Measured by management and peer observation
- Responds to patient call system and patient requests promptly and politely. Expedites response to patient and other calls as needed. Measured by management and peer observation.
- Fosters effective communication between departments, shift, and various customers to support patient care mission of the unit. Measured by management and peer observation
- Responds appropriately during emergency situations and provides support during codes as directed. Measured by management and peer observation.
- Processes orders according to guidelines. Follows computer downtime procedures. Measured by management and peer audits of charts
- Safeguards patient privacy and confidentiality when performing job responsibilities that require accessing and using patient information. Measured by management and peer observation.
- Technology: Utilizes all available equipment and resources in a manner that results in smooth, continuous workflow.
- Uses telephone, patient call system, beeper/paging system, computers, pneumatic tube system, and telelift (where available) to facilitate flow of communication and supplies to and from the unit. Measured by management and peer observation
- Types 30 words/minute. Measured by annual typing test
- Enters orders accurately & efficiently as evidenced by chart audits
- Learns and applies new technical skills and systems as technology changes, works with team to identify and address learning needs surrounding computer and technical systems. Measured by management and peer observation
- Enters and updates information in computer systems to assure current information. Retrieves data accurately. Continuously maintains accurate patient census. Measured by MN Census audits.
- Maintains equipment in operational status by trouble shooting and contacting appropriate department for repairs and maintenance. Measured by management and peer observation (and from Plant Ops Logs maintained in some areas).
- Facilitation/Coordination: Demonstrates collaborative approach in the workplace and coordination if work area activities that facilitates excellence in customer service.
- Works with team to identify & implement ideas to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of people and electronic systems that support quality patient care. Measured by management and peer observation.
- Participates in behavioral interviewing and orientation of staff as appropriate. Measured by management and peer observation
- Assembles, maintains, and breaks down patient charts according to standards and prepares charts for surgery and other special procedures. Measured by chart audits
- Maintains unit log according to guidelines. Measured by management audit
- Orders, maintains, and uses supplies in cost effective manner. Measured by management observation and budget monitoring
- Makes follow up appointments, providing information required for insurance verification and pre-certification. Performs discharge-related clerical tasks. Measured by management and peer observation
Job requires High school graduate or GED and 1 year of experience or the equivalent.
Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration (LCR):
Job Clinical Support
Primary Location TN-Nashville-Vanderbilt Hospital (VUH)
Organization Cardiovascular Surgical Stepdo 212067PI77407615