Director of Campus Safety
About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) is seeking a strong leader for a critical department and is in the process of a redesign of our Campus Safety and Security operation. We seek an experienced leader to implement this initiative that encompasses the selection, training and management of the College's security staff while overseeing the daily Campus Safety & Security operation. FIT is an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology of the State University of New York.
PRIMARY FUNCTION: The Campus Safety department serves three primary areas: The College, Resident Halls, and the Museum at FIT.
The Director of Campus Safety is responsible for:
1) the development, implementation and management of campus safety and security programs including but not limited to security; environmental health and safety; fire safety; and emergency management.
2) compliance with all applicable federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations related to campus safety and 3) ensuring that day to day security, public safety functions and new initiatives are aligned with the College's Strategic Plan which can be found at http://www.fitnyc.edu/6646.asp.
GENERAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
1. Leadership and management of the department of Campus Safety, 24/7/365 operation including recruitment, hiring, training, performance evaluations, direction and supervision of both FIT employees and outside contractors.
2. Development and maintenance of excellent working relationships with students, faculty, administrators and external customers/constituents.
3. Development and implementation of comprehensive public safety programs, policies and procedures.
4. Compliance with local, state and federal reporting mandates.
5. Collaboration with community officials to address matters of mutual concern.
6. Coordination with internal/external emergency response protocols and/or agencies.
7. Development and administration of the departmental budget.
8. Establishment of pre-employment and ongoing Public Safety staff training program.
9. Continuous improvement in departmental services to meet or exceed internal and external customer expectations.
10. Other tasks assigned by the Assistant Vice President for Administration.
Bachelor's Degree required, Master's preferred; minimum of ten years experience in urban campus safety, security, law enforcement, or related field with a minimum of 5 years in a supervisory capacity including: personnel management; experience in administration of a comprehensive safety and security program; skilled conflict management and resolution skills; knowledge of laws, rules, codes and currently accepted principles and practices relevant to safety and security operations in an educational or public facility including OSHA, NFPA, FEMA, NIMS, and a valid driver's license.
PREREQUISITE(S): Satisfactory results for BCA and FBI criminal background check and drug testing.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
1. Thorough knowledge of criminal justice, law enforcement, and higher education protocols/procedures.
2. Through knowledge of Uniform Crime report definitions.
3. Leadership and management skills sufficient to lead staff operating on a 24/7 schedule.
4. Excellent interpersonal, problem solving, organizational, written and communication skills.
5. Ability to work with local community and leadership.
6. Understanding of and appreciation for current student issues.
7. Ability to handle crisis situations.
8. An understanding of the special nature of a Campus safety program with a residential population.
9. Ability to relate to, interact effectively with, and value diverse populations.
10. Strong background in emergency management, NIMS and ICS.
Special Notes: This is a full-time appointment. FLSA-exempt position, not eligible for the overtime
provisions of the FLSA. Night and weekend work is required.
Please note the college will not entertain New York Retirement and Social Security Law (RSSL) 211 waivers for this position.
Applicants interested to apply MUST submit the following documents online.
* Cover letter-Please indicate salary requirements
Returning Applicants - Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your completed
Click Here to Apply
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, national origin, gender, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals.
Application review will commence on June 18, 2014 and will continue until the job is filled.