Adjunct Faculty-ESOL (Brookhaven)
Division: Languages - Brookhaven
Position Number: 021405021
Position Type: Faculty
Exempt or Non-Exempt: Exempt
Appointment Type: Part Time
Is Grant Funded?: No
Posting Number: 02917
Job Description Summary/Essential Duties:
Position at Brookhaven College in the World Languages division.
Teaches students effectively in assigned classes and maintains office hours for student consultation. Provides students with a written course syllabus. Participates in the evaluation of the instructional process and uses innovative strategies to continually improve learning. Participates in development and support of their discipline by recommending books and materials, revising curricula, and recommending teaching assignments when appropriate. Maintains accurate and complete course records. Performs professional activities and assumes professional responsibilities as agreed upon with the division dean, and works with colleagues to achieve shared goals and visions. Values the collaborative process. Uses knowledge of diverse communities and learning styles and has the ability to incorporate diversity of delivery of such learning styles in instruction. Participates in student advising and registration. Utilizes technology to facilitate learning and to access data, maintain records, generate reports, and communicate with others. Meets professional assignments in accordance with the Systems calendar and contractual obligations. Complies with Districts board policy, state and federal policy, and the student code of conduct as appropriate. Commits to college mission and goals through participating in planning division objectives and budget requests. Serves on and attends college committees as assigned. Participates in campus commencement exercise(s) as required and attends other required college meetings and activities. Participates in his/her own performance appraisal. Demonstrates ability to work effectively with persons from diverse backgrounds. May work with student clubs and/or organizations. Demonstrates verbal and written communication skills to support and enhance effective interaction between Districts and other organizations, businesses and community groups as well as faculty, staff and students from diverse backgrounds. Promotes the college in the community by participating in a variety of marketing activities. Participates in professional development activities. Performs other duties as assigned.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- The application alone is used to determine if minimum requirements are met.
- The completion of all related sections is required even if submitting a resume.
- Part time work experience counts as half time work experience. For example, 12 months of part time work equals 6 months full time work experience.
When uploading personal documents such as transcripts, resumes, etc., please remove security sensitive information such as social security numbers and date of birth.
- Documents bearing this information will be removed from the online application system and your applications will be considered incomplete.
A completed DCCCD application, resume and copies of unofficial transcripts are required. Official transcripts will be required prior to interview.
# of Months:
Close Date: 05/23/2014
Open Until Filled: NoMinimum Qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree or higher in Linguistics, English, Foreign Language, Intercultural Studies (with a major in TESOL), Bi-lingual Education, or Education AND one of the following:
- a minimum of six graduate hours in TESOL, Linguistics, Foreign Language, or Bilingual Education.
- one year full-time employment teaching in a recognized ESOL program.
- 200 hours in ESOL teaching experience in an accredited college.
Bachelor’s degree or higher and a State Board of Educator Certification certificate or graduate certificate in TESOL or Bilingual Education.
Master’s degree or higher with a minimum of 18 graduate hours in Linguistics, English, Foreign Language, TESOL, or Bilingual Education.
Master’s degree or higher in Linguistics, English, Foreign Language, Intercultural Studies (with a major in TESOL), Education (in TESOL) or Bilingual Education.
Excellent oral and written communication skills to interact with students of varying diverse backgrounds. Demonstrated skills in successfully working with diverse populations through experiences such as formal training and past work experiences. The ability to provide quality customer service. Official transcripts will be required at time of interview. *A criminal background check will be conducted.*
Position Specific Qualifications:
This position will involve the following:
- Demonstrate effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work within a structured program, follow the directions of ??Lead Faculty?? coordinator, and collaborate with workgroup on tasks and processes.
- Have knowledge of diverse ESOL communities and learning styles and possess the ability to incorporate diversity of delivery of such learning styles in instruction.
- Promote Brookhaven College and the ESOL program in the community.