Postdoctoral Fellow - Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement
The Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement (CIRCLE) at Tufts University seeks a Postdoctoral Fellow in the area of American higher education and college student political learning and engagement. The Postdoctoral Fellow will lead quantitative research on a range of higher education initiatives, specifically the National Study on Learning, Voting, and Engagement (NSLVE). This researcher may also provide support for qualitative research, survey development, secondary data-analysis, literature reviews, and program evaluations. S/he will also be responsible for managing and integrating large datasets and using appropriate methods for processing, storing, aggregating, and replicating analysis. Over the duration of the post-doc, NSLVE will increase the automation of data processing and the production of reports. The Postdoctoral Fellow will play an integral role in this transition.
- Ph.D. earned May 2013 through August 2014 or ABD (all but dissertation) with anticipated graduation by June 2015, in public policy, political science, higher education, or other social science discipline
- Strong quantitative background and experience with multivariate statistical techniques
- Knowledge of at least one statistical package, such as SPSS, STATA, or SAS, and a willingness to work primarily with SPSS
- Experience using large datasets
- Proficiency with data management, including an ability to work with relational database software such as Access and Oracle
- Data workflow management experience
- Technological experience and adaptability, with excellent computer skills, knowledge of databases, client management and Microsoft Office, as well as an ability and desire to learn more
- Demonstrated interest in college student civic learning and engagement and/or public participation and civic renewal more broadly
- Experience with voting data
- Experience with Catalist database
- Experience with evaluation methods
- Experience with qualitative methods
- Experience with Salesforce
- Prior record of publications
Duration: August 1, 2014 through July 31, 2015. This is a grant-funded position for one year with a possibility of continuation.
To apply, please submit a CV, a cover letter describing your research interests or plans, a sample publication, and contact information for three references. Send application materials to Kathy O’Connor at firstname.lastname@example.org. Screening of applicants begins May 15, 2014 and continues until the position is filled.