Director of Development
Director of Development
Department: School of Business Administration
Job IRC # IRC13608
The director of development for the School of Business Administration (SBA) is charged principally with major gift fundraising and secondarily annual giving fundraising duties for SBA. With the dean of SBA, the director develops a comprehensive fundraising program for private support from faculty, staff, alumni, friends of SBA, individuals in the San Diego community, corporations, and foundations to solicit donors at all levels of giving to SBA, but with particular emphasis on major gifts. The director of development for SBA develops strategies for identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major gift donors for all approved fundraising priorities at SBA and other areas at USD when appropriate. The director of development will report to the dean of SBA, with significant interaction with the associate vice president of Development in University Relations. Annual performance reviews will be conducted jointly. The director supervises an administrative assistant and/or other administrative or professional staff, as directed. The director may also supervise the SBA director of Alumni Relations.
Qualifications: Minimum & Preferred
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
• Minimum of seven years’ experience in fundraising, including demonstrable management and administrative skills; experience in higher education preferred.
• Proven record of cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major gifts.
• Proven record of knowledge in the full spectrum of philanthropic fund development, including special gifts, major gifts, capital campaigns, annual giving, special events, prospect research, proposal development, and gift planning.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with faculty, advancement professionals, academic administrators, senior executives, and trustees of the university.
• Ability to communicate positively and effectively, both in writing and orally, with a divergent audience.
• Demonstrated ability to inspire confidence, to motivate, and to persuade.
• Ability to recruit, organize, and manage salaried or volunteer personnel, as well as direct any individuals or committees of influence and affluence in fundraising protocol and competencies.
• Willingness and ability to travel.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Commitment to working as a member of a team and collaborate with colleagues.
• Strong sense of integrity and ethical conduct.
• Strong interpersonal and sales/marketing skills.
• Strong managerial and leadership skills.
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to establish credibility and rapport with trustees and other key volunteers and prospects.
• Awareness of trends and issues in higher education, philanthropy, and the Roman Catholic Church.
• Entrepreneurial, creative, self-starter, and oriented toward action and results.
• Ability to anticipate, recognize, and solve problems.
• Ability to organize time effectively, establish priorities, and manage a large number of tasks simultaneously.
• Knowledge of USD’s policies and procedures.
• Ability to set and meet goals.
• Ability to assess prospects’ readiness and fitness for philanthropy.
• Ability to deal with confidential and sensitive information, internally and externally.
• An understanding of the full spectrum of development, including gift policies, donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship, donor recognition, prospect research, high level boards, support groups and administration.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office application.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes. Serious candidates are encouraged to request official transcripts to help expedite the hiring process.
Salary: Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Business & Administration: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours per week: 37.5
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
Click AApply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org