Associate Professor, Curriculum and Pedagogy
Posting Number: Fac/Lib000515
Academic Title: Associate Professor, Curriculum and Pedagogy
Specialty: Language and Literacy Education
Contract Type: With Tenure, Tenure Track
Proposed Start Date: 08/01/2014
Position Description Summary:
The Department of Curriculum and Pedagogy is seeking candidates for a tenured or tenure track Associate Professor position to begin August 2014.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
The position entails academic and research support for master's students in the department's Reading and Literacy program, and for students in the Curriculum and Instruction doctoral program who have a focus on Language and Literacy Education. The position is designed to enhance the research capacity of the department in Language and Literacy Education.
- An Ed.D. or Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction or related field (i.e. Language Education, Literacy Education and Reading Education);
- A minimum of five consecutive years of faculty service in an academic unit;
- Demonstrated track record of leadership and participation in a research program in Language and Literacy Education, with publications in peer reviewed journals;
- Demonstrated success in securing and managing externally-funded research projects;
- A minimum of five years of a record of excellence in teaching and advising at the masters and doctoral levels; and,
- Successful experience directing doctoral dissertations.
Advertised Salary: Tenure and salary are commensurate with the qualifications. Salary and benefits are competitive.
For additional information contact:
Colin Green, Ed.D.
Department of Curriculum and Pedagogy, Search Committee Chair
The Graduate School of Education and Human Development
The George Washington University
2134 G Street, NW
Washington, DC, 20052
P: 202 994.0997
The George Washington University is located in the heart of Washington DC at the core of U.S. government, policy, and law. This location provides an unparalleled opportunity to study, teach, and learn among leaders and practitioners in every discipline, taking part in the interchanges that shape the local DC community, the nation, and the world.
The Graduate School of Education and Human Development houses five departments (Curriculum and Pedagogy, Counseling and Human Development, Educational Leadership, Human and Organizational Learning, and Special Education and Disability Studies), and runs programs at the Foggy Bottom campus in Washington, the GW Virginia Science and Technology Campus in Ashburn, Va., and at graduate education centers in Arlington, Alexandria, and Hampton Roads, VA.
The Department of Curriculum and Pedagogy prepares educators, specialists and researchers through programs that are interdisciplinary and research-based. The department's mission is to educate graduate students to become well-informed scholars, effective educators, and thoughtful researchers who strive for positive change in schools.
The department is comprised of ten faculty members with expertise in Elementary Education, Secondary Education, and across the disciplines of English, Math, Science, Social Studies, Foreign Language, ESL, and Reading and Literacy. The department houses a number of graduate certificate and master's degree programs, in addition to an educational specialist degree and doctoral degree program in Curriculum and Instruction.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Application Process. Interested applicants must submit:
- letter of application;
- curriculum vitae;
- copies of academic transcripts;
- two (2) examples of research published in a peer reviewed journal in the last five years;
- evidence of teaching effectiveness (e.g. peer or student evaluations); and
- names and contact information of three (3) references.
Review of applicant credentials will begin on December 2, 2013 and will continue until the position is filled. Only complete applications will be considered.
Department Link: http://gsehd.gwu.edu/
Posting Close Date:
Open Until Filled: Yes
The George Washington University is an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action Employer.
Quick Link http://www.gwu.jobs:80/postings/18557
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have an Ed.D. or Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction or related field (i.e. Language Education, Literacy Education and Reading Education)?
- * Do you have a minimum of five consecutive years of faculty service in an academic unit?
- * Do you have a demonstrated track record of leadership and participation in a research program in Language and Literacy Education, with publications in peer reviewed journals?
- * Do you have demonstrated success in securing and managing externally-funded research projects?
- * Do you have a minimum of five years of a record of excellence in teaching and advising at the masters and doctoral levels?
- * Do you have successful experience directing doctoral dissertations?
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Sample Publications
- Course Evaluations or Summaries
The George Washington University is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action institution.PI76776043