Counselor (Student Success and Support Program)
Counselor (Student Success and Support Program)
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 5/27/2014
Mission College is now accepting applications for a full-time, tenure-track general counselor position with a student success emphasis. This counselor will assist the department and college in meeting the requirements of the new Student Success and Support Program mandated services.
Located in the heart of Silicon Valley, our staff and faculty are among the most qualified in the state and our students appreciate the college for its friendly staff and supportive atmosphere. Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
This is a full time, 11-month, tenure-track position effective August 1, 2014. The counseling responsibilities of this position include teaching and providing academic, career, and personal counseling.
Assignment may include a varied time of the day or evening, and a varied Monday through Saturday schedule, and event, field trip, tour or other travel. This position is represented by the Association of College Educators (ACE).
Work location: Mission College, Santa Clara, CA
Salary and Benefits:
- Anticipated Hiring Range: $48,891 to $76,087 annually, is based on academic achievement, teaching and related experience.
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee and dependents, to include domestic partner.
- Employer paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- Sabbatical, Rejuvenation and Retraining Leaves.
- Banked leave provisions.
- Professional Growth and Development activities.
- 11 days sick leave accrued annually; personal necessity and catastrophic leave.
- Conference leaves.
- Opportunity for overload assignments.
- Cal STRS Retirement.
- Position is union affiliated with required dues.
1.Education – Possess one of the following:
- Master’s degree in counseling, rehabilitation counseling, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, guidance counseling, educational counseling, social work, career development, marriage and family therapy, or marriage, family and child counseling; OR
- A bachelor’s degree in one of the above listed degrees AND a license as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT); OR
- Possess a valid California Community College Instructor’s Credential in Counseling; OR
- The equivalent of the above.
2. Demonstrated ability to effectively work with persons of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Counseling duties and responsibilities are assigned in accordance with Article 19 and may consist of one or more of the following.
- Counsel and advise students, on both an appointment and a drop-in basis.
- Perform specialized work duties as necessary during registration periods.
- Provide formal in-service training.
- Participate in program/service development activities. *Perform other duties as required for the department and/or college.
- Counselors may also be assigned to teach one or more counseling courses during a semester.
- Counselors have the option of teaching outside their primary area on an overload basis. To be eligible for an assignment outside their area of primary responsibility, they must qualify through the established guidelines.
- Counselors who teach courses must comply with the same duties required of the instructors as outlined in their job description, including office hours.
- Interested applicants must submit online all materials requested, including:
(1) A completed online West Valley-Mission Community College District application; (2) Resume; (3) Transcripts – (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees having the degree confer/award dates circled. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment start date should the position be offered; (4) Cover letter, if requested; (5) District Equivalency Application, if applicable; and (6) Any requested licenses or certificates, if applicable.
- All sections of the online application, including Education and Educational Work History, must be completed thoroughly.
- Supervisor(s) name(s) and telephone numbers must be included in the application.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Do NOT send unrequested materials. Unrequested materials will not be used for consideration of employment.
- The employment application and supporting documents represent you; it is to your advantage to fill out the application form carefully and completely.
- If a minimum requirement is possession of a degree, then a copy of transcripts is required to be included with your application to verify the degree being awarded. If no transcripts are included, the application may be screened as not meeting minimum requirements.
- Degrees must have been awarded by a college or university accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Council on Post-Secondary Accreditation and/or the U.S. Department of Education.
- Candidates with degrees not identical to the required state or local qualifications must apply for equivalency by completing the equivalency form, which is part of the application package. See Equivalency Information below.
- Candidates with degrees earned outside of the United States must provide official certification of equivalency to U. S. degrees by a certified U. S. credential review service, must have a U.S. evaluation (course by course of the transcripts) and must be submitted with this online application.
- If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at an office supply or copy store; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application.
- Copies of diplomas, grade reports, graduation petitions, transcript evaluations requests, or similar documents WILL NOT be accepted in lieu of transcripts.
For assistance, contact:
Office of Human Resources, Attn: Recruitment
14000 Fruitvale Ave, Saratoga, CA 95070
Phone: (408) 741-2174 Fax: (408) 867-9059
SELECTION PROCESS INFORMATION:
- After the deadline date, a committee will review and evaluate applications and supporting materials to select the applicants to be interviewed. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not assure the candidate an interview.
- All candidates will receive an e-notification to acknowledge receipt of their application materials. If not contacted within 3-6 weeks following the close of the recruitment, no suitable match was determined at this time.
- Travel expenses to attend first-level interview are the responsibility of the candidate.
- Application materials become the property of the District and will not be returned or duplicated.
- The District may choose to re-advertise or indefinitely delay filling a position. Some positions may include first and second level interviews.
- The District reserves the right to contact former, current, the most recent employers, and others to investigate past employment records of applicants.
- Any tentative verbal offer of employment is contingent upon formal approval of the college Governing Board.
- Upon hire the successful candidate must provide the required documents of identity and authorization to work and attest he/she is authorized to work in the United States.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks to employ a diverse workforce who will contribute to an inclusive and welcoming educational and employment environment. The District is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, physical disability, mental disability, ancestry, sexual orientation, language, accent, citizenship status, transgender status, parental status, marital status, economic status, veteran status, and medical condition consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741–2174 to arrange for assistance.
WEST VALLEY-MISSION COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.