Ventura County Community College District
Posting Number 0602464
Employee Type Classified
Job Category Classified
The eligibility list being established will be used to fill positions in this classification for the duration of the list, not to exceed one year. The immediate vacancy is a 12-month, 100% position at Oxnard College.
Under the general direction of a Dean, assist faculty and staff in the use of technology for teaching and learning. Serve as technical consultant for online instructional design and onground classroom technology.
Consult with faculty to discover, develop, implement, and evaluate areas in which technology can be applied to enhance teaching. E
Identify faculty support needs for online course components and pedagogical use of classroom technologies. E
Design and implement training, assist and support faculty with course management software while focusing on course goals, objectives, and learning outcomes. E
Provide frontline user support and troubleshooting for course management system. E
Implement course management system administration processes and procedures. E
Configure, manage and maintain a course management system, including upgrades and maintenance of users, accounts, and permissions. E
Introduce instructional technology tools, strategies, and resources. E
Monitor developments in the field of instructional design and technology to remain current on effective strategies and practices, and communicate such to faculty and staff. E
Collaborate with college and district staff to ensure effective implementation of distance education and other technology-oriented initiatives and programs. E
In consultation with faculty and staff, monitor and maintain currency of software applications to ensure viability of learning labs. E
Assist in the development, implementation, and management of the college's Distance Education Help Desk; work collaboratively with the district to enhance Help Desk strategies; stay current with Help Desk technology developments. E
Perform related work as assigned.
E= Essential Duty
Any combination equivalent to a bachelor's degree in Education, Instructional Technology, or Instructional Design or a related field, and two years of demonstrated experience in instructional technology and/or online course design.
- Course Management Systems, including WebCT VISTA;
- Online pedagogy and/or andragogy;
- Graphic, visual and interface techniques of Course Management Systems;
- Multimedia design and production;
- Instructional design principles;
- Training techniques;
- Writing and editing;
- Web authoring and HTML editing, Web Design Tools, such as InDesign, Flash, Dreamweaver;
- Video editing, such as IMovie, MovieMaker, Final Cut Pro, Quicktime;
- Copyright policies and intellectual property rights;
- Operating systems for the PC, Macs, and servers;
- ADA/Section 508 knowledge for accessibility
- Keep current with instructional technology through self-motivated and self-directed professional development;
- Troubleshoot Course Management System related problems, both in administration and in user support;
- Develop and provide individual and group training;
- Maintain effective communication and working relations with others, including all segments of the college community;
- Work independently while maintaining schedules and multiple time lines;
- Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, cultural, special needs, and ethnic backgrounds of faculty, staff and students;
- Communicate effectively, both in written and oral form, to CMS users of differing abilities and learning styles;
- Operate general application software such as MS Office, Lotus Notes, and Banner;
- Configure, manage and maintain a CMS, including upgrades and user permissions
- Sitting and standing for extended periods of time
- Communicate with users
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a keyboard
- Office environment
- Computer and learning labs
- Group or individual training scenarios
Work Week: Specific days and hours will be determined by the needs of the department
Closing Date: 5/14/14
To apply, visit: http://jobs.vcccd.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=54513
Required Applicant Documents:
Documents not to exceed 2mb maximum
EXAMINATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
This is an examination open to the public and current district employees seeking a promotional opportunity. To ensure consideration, please submit your application materials by May 14, 2014.
The examination process will consist of the following components:
A) Training and Experience Evaluation (T&E) = Qualifying (pass/fail)
B) Technical Interview = 100% weighting on final score
Applicants must meet minimum qualifications stated by the filing deadline in order to move forward in the testing process. Those candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will have their application materials reviewed during a Training and Experience Evaluation (T&E). A T&E is an assessment of training and experience that has prepared the candidate for the position. Those with the highest scores on the T&E will be invited to the technical interview. All communication regarding this process will be delivered via email.
The date range and location of the technical interview are listed below.
Date Range: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 to Wednesday, May 28, 2014
Location: Ventura County Community College District
255 W. Stanley Avenue, Suite 150
Ventura, CA 93001
The above date range is subject to change. Applicants will be notified of any scheduling changes via email.
Official transcripts must be presented to Human Resources prior to beginning employment.
The Ventura County Community College District is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity. It is the District's policy to ensure that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunities and are not subjected to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, physical disability, mental disability, ancestry, sexual orientation, language, accent, citizenship status, transgender status, parental status, marital status, economic status, veteran status, medical condition, or on the basis of these perceived characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.
$4,600.00 - $6,340.00
$4,600.00 - $6,340.00 - New employees may request salary placement above step one based on directly related education and experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications for the classification. Advanced salary placement must be requested at the time of offer and is subject to verification of qualifying experience and applicable collective bargaining agreements and/or Personnel Commission rules.
Special Instructions to Applicants
PRELIMINARY SCREENING OF APPLICATIONS & SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE:
In completing the application and the supplemental questionnaire, outline in detail your education, training (such as classes, seminars, workshops) and experience. Please be sure to answer every component of each supplemental question as your responses will be scored and serve as your score on the training and experience evaluation. Appearance before the oral examination (interview) board will be limited to the candidates with the highest T&E scores. For your application to be considered, the supplemental questions must be completed in full. Failure to answer the questions as required will result in disqualification.
Upon completion of the examination, the open / promotional eligibility list will be compiled by combining the final examination score with applicable seniority and veteran's credits, if any. The candidates will be ranked according to their total score on the eligibility list. Certification will be made from the highest three ranks of the eligibility list. This eligibility list will be used to fill the current vacancies up to one year from the date of the technical interview.
All appointments made from eligibility lists for initial appointment or for promotion shall be probationary for a period of six (6) months or one hundred thirty (130) days of paid service whichever is longer.
Individuals with disabilities requiring reasonable accommodation in the selection process must inform the Ventura County Community College District Human Resources Department in writing no later than the filing date stated on the announcement. Those applicants needing such accommodations should document this request including an explanation as to the type and extent of accommodation needed to participate in the selection process.
The following questions will be asked of all applicants.
When you apply for this position, you may wish to compose your responses to the supplemental questions in a separate document that can be edited, saved, and pasted into the applicable online application supplemental question response fields. This will prevent the unintended loss of data, as the system will automatically log you out after 60 minutes of inactivity.
1. Please describe your experience pertaining to developing, implementing, and documenting classroom and lab instructional technologies such as content management systems and multi-media. In your response include a description of a) the organization where you did such work, b) the technology used (i.e. specific course management systems, presentation software, multimedia tools, online communities original programming), c) your responsibilities with regard to using such systems and technology, and d) the size of the user audience. If you have no such experience, please mark N/A.
2. Please describe your experience training end users on the use of instructional technology and web based learning management systems. In your response include a description of a) the training provided, b) the systems on which the training was provided, and c) the size and level of expertise of the audience. If you have no such experience, please mark N/A.
3. Please describe your experience configuring or adapting content for use on multiple computing platforms (i.e. Mac and Windows operating systems) and for different levels or types of learners (i.e. vision-impaired learners, traditional and non-traditional college-level students, and occupational training participants). In your response include a description of configuration adjustments, authoring contributions, maintenance activities, and system adaptations completed. If you have no such experience, please mark N/A.
4. Please describe your experience providing end user help desk assistance via email, phone, web, and/or in person. In your response describe a) the level of expertise of your customer and b) the frequency with which you have provided such customer service. In addition, please include any experience you have creating tutorials for frequently asked questions. If you have no such experience, please mark N/A.
5. How did you learn about this job opportunity?