Financial Technician - Payroll
Financial Technician - Payroll
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 5/26/2014
Definition:The Fiscal Services Department is seeking a talented individual to fill the position of Financial Technician-Payroll.
Comprised of two colleges, West Valley College and Mission College, we are located in the heart of Silicon Valley. Our staff and faculty are among the most qualified in the state and our students appreciate our two colleges for our friendly staff and supportive atmosphere.
Under direction of the Payroll Supervisor or designee at the West Valley-Mission Community College District, prepare, process and maintain records, reports and other documents involved in the timely preparation and generation of District payrolls; calculate, record and balance financial and statistical data; provide information and assistance to District personnel regarding payroll issues and questions.
Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
Assignment:100% of full time, 37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year, with anticipated start date of June 18, 2014. Schedule may change to include some evening or weekend hours, as needed. This position is a member of the Classified Office, Technical & Business Services Employee Unit.
Work Location: Fiscal Services, West Valley-Mission Community College District, located on the West Valley College campus, Saratoga, CA.
Salary and Benefits:
- Anticipated Hiring Range: $3,687–$4,013 (monthly) with a maximum earnable monthly, excluding longevity and educational growth, of $4,837.
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee and dependents, to include domestic partner.
- Employer-paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- 13 paid holidays, plus 1 floating holiday annually; paid non-workdays between Christmas and New Year.
- Up to 22 days vacation leave accrued annually.
- 12 days sick leave accrued annually.
- Personal necessity leave and personal business leave.
- Educational growth incentive program from $35 to $175 monthly.
- $500 longevity award annually after 15 years of service and $1,000 longevity award annually after 20 years of service.
- CalPERS retirement.
- Position is union affiliated with required dues.
2. Experience – At least two years of increasingly responsible financial record keeping experience;
3. Demonstrated ability to effectively work with persons of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Methods, practices and terminology of financial record keeping and bookkeeping.
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Operation of computer terminals, microcomputers, peripheral equipment, calculator, copier and other office machines.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills including tact, patience and courtesy.
- Prepare and maintain financial and statistical records and reports.
- Make arithmetical computations quickly and accurately.
- Review, verify, adjust and record financial and statistical data.
- Detect and correct errors and discrepancies in payroll data.
- Prepare and process District payrolls for academic, classified and hourly staff according to stringent timelines and policies.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with students, staff and public.
- Maintain current knowledge of applicable laws, regulations, retirement systems and collective bargaining agreements which impact preparation of payrolls.
- Work independently with minimal supervision.
- Enter data and operate office equipment such as a calculator and computer equipment.
- Utilize computer software including payroll, accounting, word processing, spreadsheet and report writing applications.
- Meet schedules and timelines.
- Plan and organize time and work effectively.
- Work independently with minimum supervision.
- Relate effectively to people of varied academic, cultural and socioeconomic background using tact, diplomacy and courtesy.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty of the position satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made.
- Receive, review, adjust and record data from contracts, time sheets and other documents related to processing District payrolls for academic, classified and hourly personnel.
- Review data and verify the accuracy of pay rates, hours, salary calculations, codes and budget accounts; detect and correct discrepancies; contact supervisors and managers to verify hours and other information.
- Add, delete, correct and change payroll data in accordance with established schedules, State laws and regulations and District policies; verify all Human Resources calculations for payroll exceptions, pay increases and adjustments; balance assigned payrolls with County Office data.
- Maintain comprehensive employee payroll records and files according to legal requirements and District retention policies; respond to payroll inquiries and assist District staff with payroll questions; research information and correct errors.
- Enter data into computer, generate records and reports, and interface with County Office data processing systems and personnel.
- Record data and prepare vacation and sick leave reports; receive, review, adjust and distribute W–2 forms; process year end closing, clean–up and set up accounts payable.
- Operate a variety of office equipment including computer terminals, microcomputers, peripheral equipment, calculator, copier and typewriter.
- Determine correct retirement codes for employees in other retirement systems to ensure compliance with complex and varied regulations.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Interested applicants must submit online all materials requested, including:
(1) A completed online West Valley-Mission Community College District application; (2) Resume; (3) Transcripts – (unofficial or official copies) to show completed college-;level coursework; (4) Cover letter and/or reference list, if requested; and (5) Any requested licenses or certificates, if applicable.
- All sections of the online application, including Education and Educational Work History, must be completed thoroughly.
- Supervisor(s) name(s) and telephone numbers must be included in the application.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Do NOT send unrequested materials. Unrequested materials will not be used for consideration of employment.
- The employment application and supporting documents represent you; it is to your advantage to fill out the application form carefully and completely.
- If a minimum requirement is possession of a degree, then a copy of transcripts is required to be included with your application to verify the degree being awarded. If no transcripts are included, the application may be screened as not meeting minimum requirements.
- Degrees must have been awarded by a college or university accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Council on Post-Secondary Accreditation and/or the U.S. Department of Education.
- Candidates with degrees earned outside of the United States must provide official certification of equivalency to U. S. degrees by a certified U. S. credential review service, must have a U.S. evaluation (course by course of the transcripts) and must be submitted with this online application.
- If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at an office supply or copy store; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application.
- Copies of diplomas, grade reports, graduation petitions, transcript evaluations requests, or similar documents WILL NOT be accepted in lieu of transcripts.
Office of Human Resources, Attn: Recruitment
14000 Fruitvale Ave, Saratoga, CA 95070
Phone: (408) 741-2174 Fax: (408) 867-9059
Selection Process:SELECTION PROCESS INFORMATION:
- After the deadline date, a committee will review and evaluate applications and supporting materials to select the applicants to be interviewed. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not assure the candidate an interview.
- All candidates will receive an e-notification to acknowledge receipt of their application materials. If not contacted within 3-6 weeks following the close of the recruitment, no suitable match was determined at this time.
- Travel expenses to attend first-level interview are the responsibility of the candidate.
- Application materials become the property of the District and will not be returned or duplicated.
- The District may choose to re-advertise or indefinitely delay filling a position. Some positions may include first and second level interviews.
- The District reserves the right to contact former, current, the most recent employers, and others to investigate past employment records of applicants.
- Any tentative verbal offer of employment is contingent upon formal approval of the college Governing Board.
- Upon hire the successful candidate must provide the required documents of identity and authorization to work and attest he/she is authorized to work in the United States.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks to employ a diverse workforce who will contribute to an inclusive and welcoming educational and employment environment. The District is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, physical disability, mental disability, ancestry, sexual orientation, language, accent, citizenship status, transgender status, parental status, marital status, economic status, veteran status, and medical condition consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741–2174 to arrange for assistance.
WEST VALLEY-MISSION COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.