With the departure of President Eric J. Barron to assume the Presidency of Pennsylvania State University, Florida State University announces a nationwide search to recruit its next President to lead the institution’s continuing ascension.
Florida State University, one of the nation's elite research universities with the Carnegie Foundation's highest designation, Doctoral/Research University-Extensive, and one of two preeminent universities in the State of Florida, seeks an exemplary leader to serve as its 15th president.
Located in the heart of the state capital, Florida State offers a distinctive academic environment built on its cherished values and unique heritage, an exceptional campus located on the oldest continuous site of higher education in Florida, numerous top-ranked academic programs, creative activities, and championship athletics. The University enrolls approximately 41,475 students, employs over 2,000 faculty, and has an annual operating budget of $1.3 billion. Florida State University's 17 colleges offer more than 300 undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, professional and specialist degree programs, including medicine and law, covering a broad array of disciplines critical to society today. Each year the University awards over 3,100 graduate and professional degrees. In addition to the campus in Tallahassee, Florida State includes branch campuses in the Republic of Panama, Panama City, FL, and Sarasota, FL, which is home to the John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art and associated arts programs, one of the nation’s largest museum/university complexes.
Reporting directly to the Florida State University Board of Trustees, the President serves as the chief executive officer of the University and is responsible for its continuing pursuit of excellence and effective operation. The University community and Trustees have developed a list of ten characteristics/attributes integral to the role of president:
• Proven leadership skills.
• Strong strategic planning capabilities coupled with a visionary outlook.
• Student centered – a dedication to making the student experience an optimal one.
• Excellent communications skills – an excellent ‘listener’ – an individual who listens to the thoughts and ideas of others.
• Goal oriented – an individual who sets aggressive goals and knows how to achieve them.
• An understanding of the legislative process and its impact on higher education.
• An enthusiastic fundraiser – who enjoys this aspect of Presidential responsibilities.
• Loyalty to Florida State and a passion to continue the advancement of the institution.
• Approachable – enjoys and welcomes the opportunity to interact with all constituents.
• Appreciates and values faculty and staff…sensitive to their needs and input.
(A more complete criteria statement can be found at http://presidentialsearch.fsu.edu).
The university has retained R. William Funk & Associates to assist in this search. Interested parties are encouraged to submit a resume and letter of interest to the consultant at the address below:
FSU President Search
R. William Funk & Associates
100 Highland Park Village, Suite 200
Dallas, Texas 75205
~Florida State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer~