Full-Time Chemistry Instructor
This job opening is for a full time tenure track instructor of Chemistry. The primary focus of the chemistry department is to serve a diverse student community. The department offers courses to students with science, engineering & pre-professional health majors. Courses prepare students for transfer to four-year colleges and universities and also prepare students for careers in the allied health fields. The lab modules associated with each course are offered in our new state of the art facility.
Duties & Responsibilities
A description of faculty duties and responsibilities may be found in Board Policy and Administrative Procedure 4005. (www.cerritos.edu/board)
• Master’s degree in chemistry OR Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or biochemistry AND Master’s degree in biochemistry, chemical engineering, chemical physics, physics, molecular biology, or geochemistry OR the equivalent. (All qualifying educational degrees/training must be from accredited colleges and/or universities).
• Understanding of and sensitivity to meeting the needs of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic background of the student, community, and employee population.
• Teaching experience at the secondary and/or community college level.
• Experience teaching General Chemistry
• Experience teaching Organic Chemistry Lab.
• Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Salary rate is: $58, 262.00 - $89, 462.00/ annual.
• Health and welfare benefits include District contribution for medical/dental/vision benefits and employee life insurance ($50,000). (Cash-in-lieu option available on medical insurance.)
• Participation in the State Teachers’ Retirement System.
Conditions of Employment
This is a full-time tenure track position. Contract will be for 10 school months for the academic year beginning Fall Semester 2014. Participation in a pre-service orientation and/or probationary in-service training is required.
Individuals who are offered employment shall be required to obtain fingerprints for a criminal history clearance through the State Department of Justice and remit the required fee for processing the fingerprints, submit official transcripts, produce an original social security card, and submit negative TB test results (must be within the past four years or within the last 60 days if not previously employed in a school district in California) before they are hired.
Interested applicants must submit:
• Letter of application indicating how you meet each of the required qualifications for this position to include, but not be limited to, information on the following:
- Contributions to the profession
- Related experience/accomplishments
- Professional/personal development (workshops, diversity sensitivity training, etc.)
• Completed District Academic Employment application form.
• Résumé of educational background and experience.
• Copies of all transcript(s) (need not be official) verifying all educational degree(s) and/or coursework required for the position. A foreign transcript must be evaluated by a NACES-certified agency. The web site address is www.naces.org.
• Three letters of recommendation addressing recent professional experience.
ALL ABOVE MATERIALS ARE TO BE SUBMITTED TO THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS:
Human Resources Department
11110 Alondra Blvd
Norwalk, CA 90650-6298
This position is open until filled, but the priority date for receipt of application materials to be considered in the initial selection committee review is 5:00 PM on May 30, 2014. The position may close for consideration of application materials on the above priority date or any time thereafter, and interested persons are encouraged to submit their application and supporting materials so that they are received not later than 5:00 PM on May 30, 2014. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all application materials are received. Applicants who need special services or facilities due to disability in order to apply or interview for this position must notify Human Resources at least 72 hours prior to the priority closing date or the date(s) of interview.
Following the closing date, application materials will be evaluated by a selection committee. Candidates selected for further consideration will be limited to those applicants in the competitive group who best meet the qualifications for the position. Interviews will then be conducted by the selection committee, and finalists will be recommended for further consideration by the President-Superintendent for final selection and recommendation for employment. The selection process may also include practical exercises (i.e., teaching demonstration and/or other written, technical, manipulative, or simulation exercises) to evaluate candidates’ qualifications.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The District is strongly committed to achieving staff diversity and the principles of equal opportunity employment. The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants and the District shall provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to national origin, religion, age, sex or gender, race, color, medical condition, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, Vietnam-era veteran status, physical or mental disability, or because he or she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. In fact, the college encourages applications from all segments of qualified people.
For application/ additional information:
Telephone: (562) 860-2451 x2284
Human Resources Hours: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM (Monday through Friday)
To view full job description, visit: http://cms.cerritos.edu/uploads/HR/FULL-TIME_CHEMISTRY2014.pdf